What is the most effective way for cleaning the entire surface of an MT ferrule?
Ultrasonic cleaning of ferrules after polish, and guide-pin hole brushing during / after polish.
Contamination on the surface of the ferrule is a major (if not THE major) contributing factor to poor testing performance (assuming, of course, that the connector was built properly and meets geometry specs). The best way to clean entire ferrule surface, in my opinion, is to clean all ferrule in an ultrasonic bath (using filtered / DI water). This removes all contamination from guide pins / holes and surface of the ferrule.
Care should (and must) be taken through the entire assembly process after polishing, to minimize contamination of ferrule surface, guide pins, etc.
Also: guide pin holes should be scrubbed with brush during polishing to make sure loose particles of abrasive or removed ferrule material don’t stay in the holes and prevent future issues when mating/un-mating.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team February 24, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Hengtong USA, LLC announced at OFC 2017 — a collaboration between Hengtong Cable Group and Inland Energy Inc. - April 13, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC Cleaving Station with demonstration at ECOC 2017 - April 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Looking for a replacement of isopropyl alcohol as a fiber optic cleaning fluid - March 16, 2017
- From the Industry: IWCS Seeks Abstracts for 2017 Symposium - March 14, 2017
- Trade show best practices, improved processes and a little pixie dust. - March 3, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Cleaning the entire surface of an MT ferrule most effectively - February 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the absolute strongest adhesive? - February 22, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Introduces the ability to intuitively eliminate OTDR complexities and ensure network quality - February 20, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Awarded Five Technology Patents - February 16, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces Fiber Month at New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks! Sponsorship March 2017 - February 16, 2017