Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies?
FOC does not have any experience using microwaves to cure epoxies. Certain microwave machines, much more sophisticated than the familiar domestic models, are now being used to cure some adhesives. These machines make use of variable frequency microwaves (VFM) to sweep through a range frequencies, providing much more uniform heating throughout the oven, and can accomplish adhesive cures in significantly less time than conventional heat ovens.
One place this technology is used in the semiconductor and electronic packaging industry, to rapidly and uniformly cure chip underfills; where miniaturization and mismatched CTEs of the substrates involved cause tensile/compressive stresses that damage the parts.
To date FOC has not seen anyone in the fiber industry using microwaves to cure epoxies. For more information about microwave curing, here is a link to Lambda Technologies: http://www.microcure.com/.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 11, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Larry Donalds as Business Development, Fiber Design and Manufacturing, Technical Sales - July 24, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces High Refractive Index Coating for Optoelectronics, LEDs, Emissive displays, AL-2264 - July 7, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How does an electrostatic charge get onto a fiber optic ferrule and how does that create contamination issues? - July 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Issues on MT polishing. I am getting “Y” radius less than 100 - June 9, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: dipping the cleaning tip of a mechanical click cleaner directly into the cleaning fluid when doing a wet to dry cleaning process - June 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: In need of information on cleaning and repairing TOSA/ROSA devices - May 30, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies? - May 11, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Attains ISO 9001:2015 Certification - May 9, 2017
- Why isn’t there one standard polishing procedure? - May 8, 2017
- FOC’s vintage sign at 23 Centre Street: Honoring history, restoration and new beginnings - May 4, 2017