QUESTION: We are seeing some failures on the total co-planarity and fiber line on some of our MT interometric test. Some in the industry have commented these items are not included in the standard and they even don´t know what do they mean. Could you please provide your comments on this?
ANSWER: There are two types of IEC standards for MT/MPO measurements using interferometry. The first is the “Measurement Standard” and its primary purpose is to try and ensure that different instruments yield the same measurement results. The second is “Performance or Interface Standards” which relate to specific connector styles or groups. Our blog, Navigating IEC standards for MT/MPO measurements using interferometry, covers this topic with more details and can be found at bit.ly/1U2l9Y1.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team March 8, 2016
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Where does dust based end face contamination come from? - August 16, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is it important to clean both ends of the connector pair? - August 8, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How residue based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - August 2, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Larry Donalds as Business Development, Fiber Design and Manufacturing, Technical Sales - July 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What happens if there are dust particles on one of the connector end faces during the connector mating process? - July 18, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces High Refractive Index Coating for Optoelectronics, LEDs, Emissive displays, AL-2264 - July 7, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How dust based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - July 2, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How does an electrostatic charge get onto a fiber optic ferrule and how does that create contamination issues? - July 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why do I need to clean my fiber optic connectors before mating? - June 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Issues on MT polishing. I am getting “Y” radius less than 100 - June 9, 2017