In looking up the IL effect of Return Loss, I found definitions in your FOC Glossary (http://focenter.com/foc-glossary/) for IL, IL/RL, RL. In addition to these definitions:
- Insertion Loss: The ratio between the power received at a specified load before and after the insertion of a filter at a given frequency. It is an indication of the attenuation provided by a filter.
- Return Loss: The Channel Return Loss (RL) is a measure of the consistency of the impedance down the length of not just the cable, but also the connections and the patch cables.
Can you provide any info on the IL effect of Return Loss?
Regarding the IL effect of Return Loss, Return Loss in an connection is that part of the optical power reflected back to the source, usually expressed as how many dB less that the forward power. It is usually regarded as a bad thing, you want as much of the light to as possible to get to the receiver and reflections, if you are very unlucky can cause instability.
Reflectance or optical return loss (which has also been called “back reflection”) of a connection is the amount of light that is reflected back up the fiber toward the source by light reflections off the interface of the polished end surface of the mated connectors and air.
Based upon that definition a PC connector should not have any back reflection since PC stands for physical contact. But in reality the surfaces have some non-planarity and therefore the glass air glass interface follows the Fresnel equations.
A detailed description of the process and how it affects system loss is on the FOA website: https://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/testing/test/reflectance.html
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team April 14, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies? - May 11, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Attains ISO 9001:2015 Certification - May 9, 2017
- Why isn’t there one standard polishing procedure? - May 8, 2017
- FOC’s vintage sign at 23 Centre Street: Honoring history, restoration and new beginnings - May 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the probable causes of light leakage from ferrule barrel? Is it while insertion of fiber into ferrule or while stripping fiber with Fujikura stripper? - May 4, 2017
- From the Industry: Light Brigade Offering Fiber Optics 1-2-3 Training Course In New Bedford, MA - May 2, 2017
- Why use AngstromLap lapping film over other manufacturers? - May 1, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Solutions introduces the market’s most compact OTDR solution for DWDM or Hybrid CWDM/DWDM network testing - May 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Solutions for getting LC/PC for return loss more than 60 dB? - April 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: IL effect of Return Loss Clarification - April 14, 2017