I am noticing a large epoxy ring with visual inspection. Can you help me understand what I am looking at?
ANSWER: Occasionally we receive visual inspection pictures from multimode connectors that shows an evident rough epoxy ring around the fiber. To get a bit more in depth with the answer, I have five bullets of tips and info plus a photo in my blog post to help with this: http://focenter.com/noticing-a-large-epoxy-ring-with-visual-inspection/ Another influence, outside of the details in my blog, might be that the ferrules are insufficient filled with epoxy into the ferrule might relate to air bubbles as well. Please see another FOC blog that describes more details about this: http://focenter.com/assuring-the-correct-amount-of-epoxy-is-in-the-connector/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team September 3, 2015
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies? - May 11, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Attains ISO 9001:2015 Certification - May 9, 2017
- Why isn’t there one standard polishing procedure? - May 8, 2017
- FOC’s vintage sign at 23 Centre Street: Honoring history, restoration and new beginnings - May 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the probable causes of light leakage from ferrule barrel? Is it while insertion of fiber into ferrule or while stripping fiber with Fujikura stripper? - May 4, 2017
- From the Industry: Light Brigade Offering Fiber Optics 1-2-3 Training Course In New Bedford, MA - May 2, 2017
- Why use AngstromLap lapping film over other manufacturers? - May 1, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Solutions introduces the market’s most compact OTDR solution for DWDM or Hybrid CWDM/DWDM network testing - May 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Solutions for getting LC/PC for return loss more than 60 dB? - April 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: IL effect of Return Loss Clarification - April 14, 2017