QUESTION: Looking for tips on epoxy work surfaces. Do you have any information on that?
ANSWER: When working with epoxy, neatness really counts. Since the pot life on epoxy starts the moment the two parts are mixed, plan your work so that you have everything you need when you start – like:
- really clean mixing equipment and any secondary mixing containers (stainless steel spatulas, polyethelyene (PE) and polypropylene (PP) mix containers that have been final rinsed with electronic grade isopropyl alcohol (IPA, <0.5% water))
- helpful fixturing – i.e. a test tube-like rack for holding syringes upright
- any dispensing equipment reservoirs, positioned to be filled directly
Something that can also be helpful is a polyethylene work surface. PE is white in color, chemically resistant and available in 1/8” or ¼” sheets, like plywood. It can be cut (using wood working tools) and laid down in any dedicated space to make a clean, and easily cleaned, work surface. Any uncured epoxy that lands on a PE surface can easily be wiped off (acetone and a Kim-Wipe make this very easy), and cured epoxy can be removed even more easily by gentle scraping – the cured epoxy will pop off of the PE surface.
Since PE is white, the gleaming surface may by its very nature discourage other activities that clutter and intrude on this area where neatness really counts. Any extra pieces of PE can also be used to create fixtures that helps make the mixing/filling job go more smoothly.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team January 12, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Hengtong USA, LLC announced at OFC 2017 — a collaboration between Hengtong Cable Group and Inland Energy Inc. - April 13, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC Cleaving Station with demonstration at ECOC 2017 - April 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Looking for a replacement of isopropyl alcohol as a fiber optic cleaning fluid - March 16, 2017
- From the Industry: IWCS Seeks Abstracts for 2017 Symposium - March 14, 2017
- Trade show best practices, improved processes and a little pixie dust. - March 3, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Cleaning the entire surface of an MT ferrule most effectively - February 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the absolute strongest adhesive? - February 22, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Introduces the ability to intuitively eliminate OTDR complexities and ensure network quality - February 20, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Awarded Five Technology Patents - February 16, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces Fiber Month at New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks! Sponsorship March 2017 - February 16, 2017