QUESTION: Is Domaille APM-HDC-5300 the only polisher for MTP/MPO? I know normal polishing machines for patch cords and Domaille is one of the more expensive when we compare to others. I understood that Domaille’s technology is very good but I just wondered if we can use another brand or not.
ANSWER: Your question is understandable as there is a significant price difference. There are options, assuming you do not need the top computerized model. The APM-HDC-4000 would give you the same performance for less with almost the same process controls. The initial purchase will still be more expensive than other polishing machines, but with the 4000 you will benefit from the lowest production cost by spending less money on inspection and rework. Rework is very expensive on MTP assemblies and, according to our customers, other machines are over 30% more expensive on reworks. Also, work-flow and process times are optimized with the Domaille platform, further decreasing your continual manufacturing costs.
Please note my Blog, Polishers: Discussion on Expense and Top Technology (http://focenter.com/polishers-discussion-on-expense-and-top-technology/)
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team December 6, 2015
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Hengtong USA, LLC announced at OFC 2017 — a collaboration between Hengtong Cable Group and Inland Energy Inc. - April 13, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC Cleaving Station with demonstration at ECOC 2017 - April 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Looking for a replacement of isopropyl alcohol as a fiber optic cleaning fluid - March 16, 2017
- From the Industry: IWCS Seeks Abstracts for 2017 Symposium - March 14, 2017
- Trade show best practices, improved processes and a little pixie dust. - March 3, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Cleaning the entire surface of an MT ferrule most effectively - February 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the absolute strongest adhesive? - February 22, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Introduces the ability to intuitively eliminate OTDR complexities and ensure network quality - February 20, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Awarded Five Technology Patents - February 16, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces Fiber Month at New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks! Sponsorship March 2017 - February 16, 2017