QUESTION: Is Domaille APM-HDC-5300 the only polisher for MTP/MPO? I know normal polishing machines for patch cords and Domaille is one of the more expensive when we compare to others. I understood that Domaille’s technology is very good but I just wondered if we can use another brand or not.
ANSWER: Your question is understandable as there is a significant price difference. There are options, assuming you do not need the top computerized model. The APM-HDC-4000 would give you the same performance for less with almost the same process controls. The initial purchase will still be more expensive than other polishing machines, but with the 4000 you will benefit from the lowest production cost by spending less money on inspection and rework. Rework is very expensive on MTP assemblies and, according to our customers, other machines are over 30% more expensive on reworks. Also, work-flow and process times are optimized with the Domaille platform, further decreasing your continual manufacturing costs.
Please note my Blog, Polishers: Discussion on Expense and Top Technology (http://focenter.com/polishers-discussion-on-expense-and-top-technology/)
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team December 6, 2015
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Larry Donalds as Business Development, Fiber Design and Manufacturing, Technical Sales - July 24, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces High Refractive Index Coating for Optoelectronics, LEDs, Emissive displays, AL-2264 - July 7, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How does an electrostatic charge get onto a fiber optic ferrule and how does that create contamination issues? - July 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Issues on MT polishing. I am getting “Y” radius less than 100 - June 9, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: dipping the cleaning tip of a mechanical click cleaner directly into the cleaning fluid when doing a wet to dry cleaning process - June 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: In need of information on cleaning and repairing TOSA/ROSA devices - May 30, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies? - May 11, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Attains ISO 9001:2015 Certification - May 9, 2017
- Why isn’t there one standard polishing procedure? - May 8, 2017
- FOC’s vintage sign at 23 Centre Street: Honoring history, restoration and new beginnings - May 4, 2017