We have an 8º MT polishing fixture and are getting polished angled less than 7.9º. Is there a problem with the polishing plate?
Assuming you are using high quality polishing equipment, it is most likely NOT an issue with the fixture. The angle of the MT chip can be greatly affected by the Silicon Carbide grinding steps, and even more so when polishing a non-pre-angled ferrule. If, as in this case, the angles are too low, we’d recommend decreasing the polishing time during these early grinding steps. If the angled is too great, the time should be decreased. As long as the standard deviation for the angle is reasonable, you can move that average one way or the other by adjusting the process. If your standard deviation is large, meaning the results aren’t consistent, you likely have other issues.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 30, 2015
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Larry Donalds as Business Development, Fiber Design and Manufacturing, Technical Sales - July 24, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces High Refractive Index Coating for Optoelectronics, LEDs, Emissive displays, AL-2264 - July 7, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How does an electrostatic charge get onto a fiber optic ferrule and how does that create contamination issues? - July 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Issues on MT polishing. I am getting “Y” radius less than 100 - June 9, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: dipping the cleaning tip of a mechanical click cleaner directly into the cleaning fluid when doing a wet to dry cleaning process - June 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: In need of information on cleaning and repairing TOSA/ROSA devices - May 30, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies? - May 11, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Attains ISO 9001:2015 Certification - May 9, 2017
- Why isn’t there one standard polishing procedure? - May 8, 2017
- FOC’s vintage sign at 23 Centre Street: Honoring history, restoration and new beginnings - May 4, 2017