We have an 8º MT polishing fixture and are getting polished angled less than 7.9º. Is there a problem with the polishing plate?
Assuming you are using high quality polishing equipment, it is most likely NOT an issue with the fixture. The angle of the MT chip can be greatly affected by the Silicon Carbide grinding steps, and even more so when polishing a non-pre-angled ferrule. If, as in this case, the angles are too low, we’d recommend decreasing the polishing time during these early grinding steps. If the angled is too great, the time should be decreased. As long as the standard deviation for the angle is reasonable, you can move that average one way or the other by adjusting the process. If your standard deviation is large, meaning the results aren’t consistent, you likely have other issues.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 30, 2015
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Hengtong USA, LLC announced at OFC 2017 — a collaboration between Hengtong Cable Group and Inland Energy Inc. - April 13, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC Cleaving Station with demonstration at ECOC 2017 - April 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Looking for a replacement of isopropyl alcohol as a fiber optic cleaning fluid - March 16, 2017
- From the Industry: IWCS Seeks Abstracts for 2017 Symposium - March 14, 2017
- Trade show best practices, improved processes and a little pixie dust. - March 3, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Cleaning the entire surface of an MT ferrule most effectively - February 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the absolute strongest adhesive? - February 22, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Introduces the ability to intuitively eliminate OTDR complexities and ensure network quality - February 20, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Awarded Five Technology Patents - February 16, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces Fiber Month at New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks! Sponsorship March 2017 - February 16, 2017