Is there a solution for getting LC/PC for return loss more than 60 dB? If it depends on final polishing film, is Ultimas final polishing film suitable? What kind of films will work? Is there a special polishing method?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a special final film that produces 60 dB on UPC connectors. Our film is the most likely to get you there, but many other factors need to be considered including test leads on the RL meter. However, I dare say getting 60 dB with a decent yield, may not be doable without considerable scrap. Also, ultra-low return loss degrades with multiple mates, so you need to get it under the first test. Consider that you may test -60.5 dB on the first test with ‘fresh’ test leads, but if the customer tests the next time with the best test leads, it may be -59 dB, then -57 dB, then finally settle somewhere below that.
Here are a few additional comments:
- In terms of polishing process, there’s not much more that can be done with current state of lapping films.
- To tweak out the last few dB’s, you need to focus on core alignment (highest concentricity ferrules and fibers, and most precise adapter split-sleeves) that can be found.
- RL values are not a characteristic of the connector itself, but of the mated pair. A RL limit of 60 dB in production will mean you’ll need to constantly replacing test leads. The end user will likely not be able to correlate results.
- If end user truly needs 60’s, APC’s are the way to go.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team April 24, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies? - May 11, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Attains ISO 9001:2015 Certification - May 9, 2017
- Why isn’t there one standard polishing procedure? - May 8, 2017
- FOC’s vintage sign at 23 Centre Street: Honoring history, restoration and new beginnings - May 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the probable causes of light leakage from ferrule barrel? Is it while insertion of fiber into ferrule or while stripping fiber with Fujikura stripper? - May 4, 2017
- From the Industry: Light Brigade Offering Fiber Optics 1-2-3 Training Course In New Bedford, MA - May 2, 2017
- Why use AngstromLap lapping film over other manufacturers? - May 1, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Solutions introduces the market’s most compact OTDR solution for DWDM or Hybrid CWDM/DWDM network testing - May 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Solutions for getting LC/PC for return loss more than 60 dB? - April 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: IL effect of Return Loss Clarification - April 14, 2017