QUESTION: I need a really strong bond. What is the absolute strongest adhesive you have?
Modern adhesives are pretty amazing, and people do seem to want to rely on them more and more. But it is important to know that epoxies are NOT primary fasteners. Primary fasteners are hardware devices that mechanically join two substrates together – like a bolt, clamp, clip, any threaded fastener like a screw, threaded insert, etc. They are immune to temperature swings and moisture – the ban of much chemistry, and the Achilles heel of epoxy. If you are relying on a critical joint not to fail, epoxy is probably not the way to go.
Also, it is a misconception to think that strong joints require ‘strong’ adhesives. Good adhesion is all about the surfaces involved. Adhesive failures usually happen at one of the surfaces – not within the adhesive itself. This is where cleanliness of the surfaces prior to bonding is critical. Also, the amount of surface area devoted to the bond, a decreasing piece of real-estate in ever-more miniaturized packages – needs to be adequate. The best adhesive and cleaning won’t work if the bond area is too small.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team February 22, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Issues on MT polishing. I am getting “Y” radius less than 100 - June 9, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: In need of information on cleaning and repairing TOSA/ROSA devices - May 30, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does FOC have any experience or recommendations in using microwaves to cure fiber optic epoxies? - May 11, 2017
- From the Industry: AFL Attains ISO 9001:2015 Certification - May 9, 2017
- Why isn’t there one standard polishing procedure? - May 8, 2017
- FOC’s vintage sign at 23 Centre Street: Honoring history, restoration and new beginnings - May 4, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the probable causes of light leakage from ferrule barrel? Is it while insertion of fiber into ferrule or while stripping fiber with Fujikura stripper? - May 4, 2017
- From the Industry: Light Brigade Offering Fiber Optics 1-2-3 Training Course In New Bedford, MA - May 2, 2017
- Why use AngstromLap lapping film over other manufacturers? - May 1, 2017
- From the Industry: Viavi Solutions introduces the market’s most compact OTDR solution for DWDM or Hybrid CWDM/DWDM network testing - May 1, 2017