QUESTION: I need a really strong bond. What is the absolute strongest adhesive you have?
Modern adhesives are pretty amazing, and people do seem to want to rely on them more and more. But it is important to know that epoxies are NOT primary fasteners. Primary fasteners are hardware devices that mechanically join two substrates together – like a bolt, clamp, clip, any threaded fastener like a screw, threaded insert, etc. They are immune to temperature swings and moisture – the ban of much chemistry, and the Achilles heel of epoxy. If you are relying on a critical joint not to fail, epoxy is probably not the way to go.
Also, it is a misconception to think that strong joints require ‘strong’ adhesives. Good adhesion is all about the surfaces involved. Adhesive failures usually happen at one of the surfaces – not within the adhesive itself. This is where cleanliness of the surfaces prior to bonding is critical. Also, the amount of surface area devoted to the bond, a decreasing piece of real-estate in ever-more miniaturized packages – needs to be adequate. The best adhesive and cleaning won’t work if the bond area is too small.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team February 22, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Where does dust based end face contamination come from? - August 16, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the highest capacity fiber count an OCETS can handle? - August 9, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is it important to clean both ends of the connector pair? - August 8, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How residue based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - August 2, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Larry Donalds as Business Development, Fiber Design and Manufacturing, Technical Sales - July 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What happens if there are dust particles on one of the connector end faces during the connector mating process? - July 18, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: OCETS: How do I configure the software to work with the chamber? - July 12, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces High Refractive Index Coating for Optoelectronics, LEDs, Emissive displays, AL-2264 - July 7, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How dust based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - July 2, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How does an electrostatic charge get onto a fiber optic ferrule and how does that create contamination issues? - July 1, 2017