At the 65th IWCS International Cable & Connectivity Symposium held in Providence, RI on October 2-5, 2016, Technical Horsepower Consulting, LLC. (THC) presented a short talk on Starting a Cable Company and/or Adding a Cable Making Division.
The talk, originally presented on October 4, 2016, included a handout outlining the basic questions that anyone contemplating starting a cable operation needs to answer just to define the boundaries of a business plan.
Everyone who ever sees the amount of optical cable being deployed seems to think there is a shortage of cable. In reality there are seasonal and market fluctuations that cause shortages. While there are many who want to look at starting a cable operation, there are a few basic questions that need to be answered before you even start to talk to the cable making equipment manufacturers.
After being contacted by several people interested in this topic but unable to attend the live event, I have put this article together that can be found on my website: http://bit.ly/2dDObO0
- Cablers: Advice to efficiently reconfigure fiber optic process lines for add-on products – without resulting in suboptimized products - February 8, 2017
- Cablers: Are you looking to work with specialty cables or furcation tubes? If so, here are key points to consider. - January 25, 2017
- Advice for raw material suppliers planning to sell to the optical cable industry: 4 points to consider – and pitfalls to avoid - January 17, 2017
- Advice for Cable Manufacturers Looking to Enter the US Fiber Optic Market - December 8, 2016
- Buying used vs. new equipment: challenges in optical cable manufacture and new extrusion line business - November 17, 2016
- So You Want To Start a Cable Company or Add a Cable Making Division? - October 20, 2016
- Braiders, optical cables and the common ground of restorations - August 5, 2016
- Wayne Kachmar’s Are we ready for change? - May 19, 2016
- Technical Article: Loose Tight Buffer, Time to Define What We Mean - October 26, 2015
- Wayne Kachmar answers, “Are all cable lines are alike?” - August 26, 2015