One of the questions I often get from fiber optic cable manufacturers is: “Which specifications do I have to qualify to?” Additionally, I often hear: “Why is it that this particular specification is not good enough? Why can’t one spec fit all?” Unfortunately, a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work in today’s optical cable world.
To understand why the various specs were created, we have to go back to the basics.
In this article, I address the answers to:
- Why were so many different specifications created?
- Cables then and now: Why cables of 10 or 20 years ago needed different specs?
- A global disagreement on safety requirements results in different specifications.
- Evolving optical transmission requirements and optical hardware have impacted specifications.
- Another reason why there are many specifications: Cable is going where no cable has gone before!
- Which market will your cable serve?
Follow Wayne Kachmar @TechHorsepower
- What we do vs. what we wish to do – thoughts on the realistic integration of next-generation fiber optic technologies - October 16, 2018
- Are we doomed to repeat the past? Not letting our industry’s critical “tribal knowledge” become a lost art - October 2, 2018
- Fiber optic cable specifications: With so many specs, which ones should you qualify to? - May 26, 2017
- Optical cable measurements: Why don’t OTDR and jacket length markings agree? - May 16, 2017
- Cablers: Advice to efficiently reconfigure fiber optic process lines for add-on products – without resulting in suboptimized products - February 8, 2017
- Cablers: Are you looking to work with specialty cables or furcation tubes? If so, here are key points to consider. - January 25, 2017
- Advice for raw material suppliers planning to sell to the optical cable industry: 4 points to consider – and pitfalls to avoid - January 17, 2017
- Advice for Cable Manufacturers Looking to Enter the US Fiber Optic Market - December 8, 2016
- Buying used vs. new equipment: challenges in optical cable manufacture and new extrusion line business - November 17, 2016
- So You Want To Start a Cable Company or Add a Cable Making Division? - October 20, 2016