Are the choice of epoxies critically important and if so, why?
The choice of epoxies is critically important. Most Telco/Data and OSP connectors are assembled with two part epoxies that provide high tensile strength, excellent bonding and hermetic sealing of the bare fiber. The industry standard has been a two part epoxy that requires thorough mixing of parts A and B (Resin and Hardener). It is important to note that a two part type of epoxy, such as AngstromBond AB9123 and EPOTEK 353ND, and others similar to its chemistry undergoes a distinct chemistry phase change during curing and heating to temperature. The first phase change is right before curing at the correct temperature (usually 100 C) the viscosity of the epoxy turns from molasses to water and tends to run and wick up the fiber, the cable and through all the internal diameters of the connectors. Within seconds of this first phase change is the 2nd and last phase change of the epoxy where it hardens to its final cured state. So the correct calculation of volume for each type of connector and assembly is critical for maximum performance and reliability.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Assuring the correct amount of Epoxy is in the connector
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 17, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: inspection needs when focused on helping protect the bottom line - May 18, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are the choice of epoxies critically important and if so, why? - May 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber cleaning - May 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: determining over polishing of the connector is difficult to gauge - May 14, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is homemade pre-mixed and frozen epoxy real? - May 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: optical fiber UV coated, acts as a thermal insulator - May 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how does FOC’s lapping film supplier produce this with protection to the environment? - May 9, 2018
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the ÅngströmBond Solutions Center to provide the industry with epoxy technical solutions and products - May 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: heat-cure two component epoxy - May 7, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what kind of cleaning and maintenance is required for fiber optic polishing equipment? - May 4, 2018