Are the choice of epoxies critically important and if so, why?
The choice of epoxies is critically important. Most Telco/Data and OSP connectors are assembled with two part epoxies that provide high tensile strength, excellent bonding and hermetic sealing of the bare fiber. The industry standard has been a two part epoxy that requires thorough mixing of parts A and B (Resin and Hardener). It is important to note that a two part type of epoxy, such as AngstromBond AB9123 and EPOTEK 353ND, and others similar to its chemistry undergoes a distinct chemistry phase change during curing and heating to temperature. The first phase change is right before curing at the correct temperature (usually 100 C) the viscosity of the epoxy turns from molasses to water and tends to run and wick up the fiber, the cable and through all the internal diameters of the connectors. Within seconds of this first phase change is the 2nd and last phase change of the epoxy where it hardens to its final cured state. So the correct calculation of volume for each type of connector and assembly is critical for maximum performance and reliability.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Assuring the correct amount of Epoxy is in the connector
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 17, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping blades - September 24, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where can I get some information on SMA connector over polishing? - September 21, 2018
- FOC Tips: SMA High Power application - September 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxies cause allergic reactions and which do not? - September 19, 2018
- FOC Tips: solutions for clean connections - September 17, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can I identify crystallization in epoxies? - September 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step one of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - September 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what happens if you undermix epoxy? - September 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: focus on preventive action, not corrective action - September 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why is it important to measure Insertion Loss and Return Loss? - September 7, 2018