Can deposition temperature cause absorption in final fiber measurements?
Low deposition temperature reduces OH diffusion to the core from the tube and burner, and prevents tube shrinkage. The lack of diameter control causes tube wall thickening. With a thicker tube wall, more burner heat must be applied to maintain consistent deposition temperature. The deposition tube and the burner are sources of water, which can diffuse through glass layers toward the core.
Keeping your deposition temperature as low as possible prevents tube shrinkage AND prevents water from moving toward the core, which will cause absorptions in the final fiber measurements. We cover more in our blog, Critical Design Goals to Manufacture Optical Fiber Preforms: https://focenter.com/critical-design-goals-to-manufacture-optical-fiber-preforms/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 12, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – wet-sanding offers more luster - January 22, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does fiber height variation increase when overall fiber heights increases? - January 21, 2019
- FOC Tips: even stripped fiber, free of damage, during stripping and handling is susceptible to breaking ….. - January 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we minimize epoxy material waste and reduce costs? - January 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019