Can deposition temperature cause absorption in final fiber measurements?
Low deposition temperature reduces OH diffusion to the core from the tube and burner, and prevents tube shrinkage. The lack of diameter control causes tube wall thickening. With a thicker tube wall, more burner heat must be applied to maintain consistent deposition temperature. The deposition tube and the burner are sources of water, which can diffuse through glass layers toward the core.
Keeping your deposition temperature as low as possible prevents tube shrinkage AND prevents water from moving toward the core, which will cause absorptions in the final fiber measurements. We cover more in our blog, Critical Design Goals to Manufacture Optical Fiber Preforms: https://focenter.com/critical-design-goals-to-manufacture-optical-fiber-preforms/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 12, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where does the contamination come from in the normal polishing process? - August 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: spring loaded connectors after primary polishing - August 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how are the environments in which copper and optical cable are produced different? - August 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: inner-housing - August 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: the most common fiber optic epoxy packaging is premeasured two part packs. - August 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects start with a good print job - August 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors? - August 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what lapping films are available with PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) back? - August 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate RL measurements, use OTDR. - August 3, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: When does less cladding get faster transmission rates or does it? - August 2, 2018