Can deposition temperature cause absorption in final fiber measurements?
Low deposition temperature reduces OH diffusion to the core from the tube and burner, and prevents tube shrinkage. The lack of diameter control causes tube wall thickening. With a thicker tube wall, more burner heat must be applied to maintain consistent deposition temperature. The deposition tube and the burner are sources of water, which can diffuse through glass layers toward the core.
Keeping your deposition temperature as low as possible prevents tube shrinkage AND prevents water from moving toward the core, which will cause absorptions in the final fiber measurements. We cover more in our blog, Critical Design Goals to Manufacture Optical Fiber Preforms: https://focenter.com/critical-design-goals-to-manufacture-optical-fiber-preforms/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 12, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: inspection needs when focused on helping protect the bottom line - May 18, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are the choice of epoxies critically important and if so, why? - May 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber cleaning - May 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: determining over polishing of the connector is difficult to gauge - May 14, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is homemade pre-mixed and frozen epoxy real? - May 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: optical fiber UV coated, acts as a thermal insulator - May 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how does FOC’s lapping film supplier produce this with protection to the environment? - May 9, 2018
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the ÅngströmBond Solutions Center to provide the industry with epoxy technical solutions and products - May 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: heat-cure two component epoxy - May 7, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what kind of cleaning and maintenance is required for fiber optic polishing equipment? - May 4, 2018