Can deposition temperature cause absorption in final fiber measurements?
Low deposition temperature reduces OH diffusion to the core from the tube and burner, and prevents tube shrinkage. The lack of diameter control causes tube wall thickening. With a thicker tube wall, more burner heat must be applied to maintain consistent deposition temperature. The deposition tube and the burner are sources of water, which can diffuse through glass layers toward the core.
Keeping your deposition temperature as low as possible prevents tube shrinkage AND prevents water from moving toward the core, which will cause absorptions in the final fiber measurements. We cover more in our blog, Critical Design Goals to Manufacture Optical Fiber Preforms: https://focenter.com/critical-design-goals-to-manufacture-optical-fiber-preforms/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 12, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: some patch cords show ‘gain’ so how can this be possible, is there something wrong with the instrument? - March 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019