Can small amounts of epoxy inside the ferrule be observed after curing?
Too little epoxy inside the ferrule CANNOT be observed / tested-for after curing. Therefore, processes and controls MUST be implemented which ensure consistent and sufficient epoxy quantities inside the ferrule assembly. Pneumatic epoxy dispensing systems are very common, and they can work very well. However, the amount of epoxy that is dispensed with such systems will vary depending upon the epoxy viscosity, which will change through the pot-life of the epoxy. These systems can be effective, but only if the production processes account for this change of epoxy, and have proper processes and controls in place to ensure proper epoxy quantity has been injected.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: The processes involved in Termination play a CRITICAL role in determining the long-term reliability of the product
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 18, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have many customers using AngstromLap polishing film or are other brands more prevalent? - April 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019