How can contamination of a fixture negatively affect precision and is this directly related to the milled ferrule holes?
All fixtures come from the factory with very precisely milled ferrule “bores”, tailored specifically to the particular ferrule which will be polished. These bores position the ferrule to precise angles to the polishing surface—–90-degrees for PC polishing, other angles (typically 82-degrees, to create an 8-degree finish) for various APC polishing. (Note: I use the term “bore” for the circular holes milled into the fiber optic polishing fixture which hold the round ferrule, but the same concepts apply to fixture for rectangular ferrules such as MT. For simplification, this discussion will reference typical round, PC-finished ferrules, but the concepts all apply to MT fixtures as well as APC fixtures).
The level of precision to which the fixture holds the ferrules determines many of the ferrule’s geometric characteristics (Apex, Radius, Fiber Height, Ferrule Angle, etc). Contamination of the fixture can negatively affect this precision, by either pre-maturely wearing of the fixtures dimensions, or by creating buildup in the fixture, which prevents the ferrule from seating properly.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Fiber Optic Polishing Fixture Maintenance: Fiber Optic Polishing Fixture Contamination and Ultrasonic Cleaning
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 11, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 higher than 1550 - June 5, 2019