How can contamination of a fixture negatively affect precision and is this directly related to the milled ferrule holes?
All fixtures come from the factory with very precisely milled ferrule “bores”, tailored specifically to the particular ferrule which will be polished. These bores position the ferrule to precise angles to the polishing surface—–90-degrees for PC polishing, other angles (typically 82-degrees, to create an 8-degree finish) for various APC polishing. (Note: I use the term “bore” for the circular holes milled into the fiber optic polishing fixture which hold the round ferrule, but the same concepts apply to fixture for rectangular ferrules such as MT. For simplification, this discussion will reference typical round, PC-finished ferrules, but the concepts all apply to MT fixtures as well as APC fixtures).
The level of precision to which the fixture holds the ferrules determines many of the ferrule’s geometric characteristics (Apex, Radius, Fiber Height, Ferrule Angle, etc). Contamination of the fixture can negatively affect this precision, by either pre-maturely wearing of the fixtures dimensions, or by creating buildup in the fixture, which prevents the ferrule from seating properly.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Fiber Optic Polishing Fixture Maintenance: Fiber Optic Polishing Fixture Contamination and Ultrasonic Cleaning
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 11, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: epoxy de-gassing - October 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – gradually decrease grit size when sanding and polishing - October 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do you ensure proper bond line thickness? - October 15, 2018
- FOC Tips: purchasing bulk material for fiber optic epoxies - October 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended needle size to dispense epoxy? - October 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber diameters - October 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can you decrease and increase Radius values? - October 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: testing of dissimilar connector styles - October 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: guidance for developing a fiber optic polishing process? - October 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what industries need a fiber optic SMA today? - October 2, 2018