FOC promotes/sells the Viavi Sidewinder but I have heard that some people are using and happy with the Sumix Manta. Do you also sell that or know the differences between them?
FOC has selected the Viavi Sidewinder with our first-hand knowledge and history of actual processes with each piece of cable assembly line equipment. Though we do not sell the Sumix Manta, we have knowledge and information that helped us to base our conclusions.
Manta W+ does have some features that users will find appealing (wide FOV, fast autofocus and test, look and feel of the instrument).
Additionally, there are some issues with usability (testing SM MPO often misses fibers, testing MM MPO is not repeatable, inspection results can be manipulated by malicious or accidental user behavior, can inspect only a limited variety of MT-based connectors).
Manta W+ is an expensive, high-quality microscope with good imaging and fast acquisition, but it has poor analysis.
The FiberChek Sidewinder is the industry’s first “all-in-one” handheld inspection and analysis solution for multifiber connectors such as MPO. The latest addition delivers a completely automated solution to inspect and analyze every fiber of an MPO or other multifiber connectors with industry-leading reliability and speed.
Contact us for additional questions or conversation about these products at 800-473-4237 or 508-992-6464 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected to one of our technical staff members.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 20, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section.
- FOC Tips: Passive component tester configurations - November 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much is enough or the right amount of epoxy in the connector? - November 12, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step two of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what causes the Apex of a radius to be imperfect, to be off-center? - November 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: Insertion Loss (IL) is the loss of power due to adding a jumper. - November 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: MT ferrule geometry measurements - November 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: contamination on the fixture prevents ferrules from protruding equal distance from the base of the fixture - November 2, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we decide which passive component tester to purchase? - November 1, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector A” notes - October 30, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: we are a fiber optic cable assembly manufacturer. For epoxy bi-packs, what are the typical package sizes? - October 29, 2018