FOC promotes/sells the Viavi Sidewinder but I have heard that some people are using and happy with the Sumix Manta. Do you also sell that or know the differences between them?
FOC has selected the Viavi Sidewinder with our first-hand knowledge and history of actual processes with each piece of cable assembly line equipment. Though we do not sell the Sumix Manta, we have knowledge and information that helped us to base our conclusions.
Manta W+ does have some features that users will find appealing (wide FOV, fast autofocus and test, look and feel of the instrument).
Additionally, there are some issues with usability (testing SM MPO often misses fibers, testing MM MPO is not repeatable, inspection results can be manipulated by malicious or accidental user behavior, can inspect only a limited variety of MT-based connectors).
Manta W+ is an expensive, high-quality microscope with good imaging and fast acquisition, but it has poor analysis.
The FiberChek Sidewinder is the industry’s first “all-in-one” handheld inspection and analysis solution for multifiber connectors such as MPO. The latest addition delivers a completely automated solution to inspect and analyze every fiber of an MPO or other multifiber connectors with industry-leading reliability and speed.
Contact us for additional questions or conversation about these products at 800-473-4237 or 508-992-6464 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected to one of our technical staff members.
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource: FOC Test Page
- Find More Information in this Blog: Testing Tips: enhance your process, your results, and your fiber optic cable assemblies
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 20, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019
- Aramid yarns and Good stripping techniques - September 11, 2019
- When the “back-side” connector end-face is contaminated, it is difficult to have access to remove the connector for cleaning - September 8, 2019
- Fiber Optic Cable Splicing Explained - September 7, 2019
- Ways in which the end-face can become contaminated along the way - September 6, 2019
- Removal of coatings from short fiber in certain sections - September 5, 2019
- End-face quality and cleanliness - September 4, 2019
- Re-cleaning a connector after installation - September 4, 2019
- The two wavelengths used for Insertion Loss testing - September 3, 2019
- Ensuring connector end-faces meet industry standards on end-face cleanliness (ex. IEC 61300-3-35) - September 2, 2019