FOC promotes/sells the Viavi Sidewinder but I have heard that some people are using and happy with the Sumix Manta. Do you also sell that or know the differences between them?
FOC has selected the Viavi Sidewinder with our first-hand knowledge and history of actual processes with each piece of cable assembly line equipment. Though we do not sell the Sumix Manta, we have knowledge and information that helped us to base our conclusions.
Manta W+ does have some features that users will find appealing (wide FOV, fast autofocus and test, look and feel of the instrument).
Additionally, there are some issues with usability (testing SM MPO often misses fibers, testing MM MPO is not repeatable, inspection results can be manipulated by malicious or accidental user behavior, can inspect only a limited variety of MT-based connectors).
Manta W+ is an expensive, high-quality microscope with good imaging and fast acquisition, but it has poor analysis.
The FiberChek Sidewinder is the industry’s first “all-in-one” handheld inspection and analysis solution for multifiber connectors such as MPO. The latest addition delivers a completely automated solution to inspect and analyze every fiber of an MPO or other multifiber connectors with industry-leading reliability and speed.
Contact us for additional questions or conversation about these products at 800-473-4237 or 508-992-6464 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected to one of our technical staff members.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 20, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have information on common layers and what to consider when stripping? - May 20, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and damage - May 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to help establish good cleaning techniques throughout your polishing process - May 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does Fiber Optic Center accept returns of crystallized epoxies? - May 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: implementing a cross-sectioning capability IN-HOUSE - May 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them? - May 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 and 1550 similar - May 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Our epoxy is curing differently and has a different color. Can I use it? - May 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: the hole in the ferrule is not perfectly centered - May 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a trick to keep the polishing film from moving? - May 6, 2019