How are the environments in which copper and optical cable are produced different?
The environment in which copper and optical cable are produced is different. Dust and contaminants for optical fiber as well as moisture can create problems for material that does not restrain polymer shrinkage. In copper insulation, thermal heating (preheating) helps maintain a good mechanical bond to the surface since the copper material itself acts as a heat sink and controls shrinkage without affecting its ability to conduct electrons. The same effect in optical fiber will cause compressive strain on the glass which is an engineered component. This would cause significant stain and attenuation increase over cooling and subsequent thermal cycling.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Are all cable lines alike?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 14, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what happens if you overmix epoxy? - January 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: defining type and semi tight buffers as opposed to loose tubes in optical cables - January 3, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can one verify that epoxy processes are appropriate for the product? - December 27, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how many different ways are there to terminate an optical fiber which is tight buffered and where can I find more information on each? - December 20, 2018