How can we figure out ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connectors?
In reality, there is no ideal fiber height. I recommend aiming for a target fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. I have personally pursued the question – What is the ideal fiber height? – by conducting a series of tests. I created connectors with different fiber heights and subjected them to environmental testing to analyze the connectors’ performance. This included temperature testing between 80 degrees centigrade (176 degrees F) and -40 degrees centigrade (-38 degrees F).
Based on my first-hand, environmental testing of the declination of the ceramics under pressure and under temperature, I recommend targeting a fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. This means you can go down to -20, hover at zero, or go as high as +20 nanometers. This target spec offers a tolerance of 40 nanometers. This enables your cable assembly facility to produce high-quality devices without being restricted by extremely tight tolerances that result in low yields.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is the Ideal Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 18, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the different types of standards for MT/MPO measurements using interferometry? - November 15, 2018
- FOC Tips: Passive component tester configurations - November 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much is enough or the right amount of epoxy in the connector? - November 12, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step two of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what causes the Apex of a radius to be imperfect, to be off-center? - November 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: Insertion Loss (IL) is the loss of power due to adding a jumper. - November 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: MT ferrule geometry measurements - November 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: contamination on the fixture prevents ferrules from protruding equal distance from the base of the fixture - November 2, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we decide which passive component tester to purchase? - November 1, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector A” notes - October 30, 2018