How can we figure out ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connectors?
In reality, there is no ideal fiber height. I recommend aiming for a target fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. I have personally pursued the question – What is the ideal fiber height? – by conducting a series of tests. I created connectors with different fiber heights and subjected them to environmental testing to analyze the connectors’ performance. This included temperature testing between 80 degrees centigrade (176 degrees F) and -40 degrees centigrade (-38 degrees F).
Based on my first-hand, environmental testing of the declination of the ceramics under pressure and under temperature, I recommend targeting a fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. This means you can go down to -20, hover at zero, or go as high as +20 nanometers. This target spec offers a tolerance of 40 nanometers. This enables your cable assembly facility to produce high-quality devices without being restricted by extremely tight tolerances that result in low yields.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is the Ideal Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector?
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource:
- Find More Information in this Blog:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 18, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – THAWING - November 13, 2019
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse it - October 23, 2019
- Measuring Insertion Loss and Return Loss Recommendations to Achieve the Best and Most Accurate Test Measurement - October 23, 2019
- Cross-Sectioning Fiber Optic Connectors: An Effective Diagnostic Method to Identify Defects and Resolve Process Issues - October 23, 2019
- The “Ideal” Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector – and How to Achieve It - October 23, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – recommended length of time - October 23, 2019
- Techniques when using stripping tools - October 18, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019
- Aramid yarns and Good stripping techniques - September 11, 2019
- When the “back-side” connector end-face is contaminated, it is difficult to have access to remove the connector for cleaning - September 8, 2019