How can we figure out ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connectors?
In reality, there is no ideal fiber height. I recommend aiming for a target fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. I have personally pursued the question – What is the ideal fiber height? – by conducting a series of tests. I created connectors with different fiber heights and subjected them to environmental testing to analyze the connectors’ performance. This included temperature testing between 80 degrees centigrade (176 degrees F) and -40 degrees centigrade (-38 degrees F).
Based on my first-hand, environmental testing of the declination of the ceramics under pressure and under temperature, I recommend targeting a fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. This means you can go down to -20, hover at zero, or go as high as +20 nanometers. This target spec offers a tolerance of 40 nanometers. This enables your cable assembly facility to produce high-quality devices without being restricted by extremely tight tolerances that result in low yields.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is the Ideal Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 18, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: some patch cords show ‘gain’ so how can this be possible, is there something wrong with the instrument? - March 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019