How can we figure out ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connectors?
In reality, there is no ideal fiber height. I recommend aiming for a target fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. I have personally pursued the question – What is the ideal fiber height? – by conducting a series of tests. I created connectors with different fiber heights and subjected them to environmental testing to analyze the connectors’ performance. This included temperature testing between 80 degrees centigrade (176 degrees F) and -40 degrees centigrade (-38 degrees F).
Based on my first-hand, environmental testing of the declination of the ceramics under pressure and under temperature, I recommend targeting a fiber height of +/-20 nanometers. This means you can go down to -20, hover at zero, or go as high as +20 nanometers. This target spec offers a tolerance of 40 nanometers. This enables your cable assembly facility to produce high-quality devices without being restricted by extremely tight tolerances that result in low yields.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is the Ideal Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 18, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – remaining material in the syringe - May 23, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Is there a full automation solution in the connector assembly process? - May 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: Components of the fiber optic patch cord (cable assembly) - May 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have information on common layers and what to consider when stripping? - May 20, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and damage - May 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to help establish good cleaning techniques throughout your polishing process - May 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does Fiber Optic Center accept returns of crystallized epoxies? - May 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: implementing a cross-sectioning capability IN-HOUSE - May 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them? - May 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 and 1550 similar - May 9, 2019