How can we minimize epoxy material waste and reduce costs?
Recommendations to adjust your epoxy process, which can minimize material waste and reduce costs
Here are two ideas to alter your epoxy-related production process. These process adjustments may help you reduce epoxy waste, streamline your process and, ideally, fabricate a higher-quality product.
- Add another operator – As soon as your operator mixes Part A and Part B of the epoxy, he or she is essentially playing a game of Beat the Clock to use the material before its pot life expires. Therefore, it’s vital that the epoxy process be highly organized, swift, and efficient. One way to improve efficiency is to have two operators on your production line, simultaneously dispensing epoxy. Both operators would fill their syringes from one 4-gram package, which offers a lower price per gram. This approach could minimize waste, reduce your epoxy cost, and streamline your fabrication process.
- Freeze the unused epoxy for future use – Let’s say you purchase 2.5-gram packages of epoxy and typically use 1½ to 2 grams of each package. The remaining epoxy goes to waste. Here’s an idea: Purchase 4-gram packages (at a lower price per gram), mix and use the epoxy as you normally would, then freeze the remaining epoxy for later use.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Ideas to adjust your epoxy process: Recommendations to reduce waste (and save money) in your fiber optic cable assembly process
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team January 16, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have many customers using AngstromLap polishing film or are other brands more prevalent? - April 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019