How can we minimize epoxy material waste and reduce costs?
Recommendations to adjust your epoxy process, which can minimize material waste and reduce costs
Here are two ideas to alter your epoxy-related production process. These process adjustments may help you reduce epoxy waste, streamline your process and, ideally, fabricate a higher-quality product.
- Add another operator – As soon as your operator mixes Part A and Part B of the epoxy, he or she is essentially playing a game of Beat the Clock to use the material before its pot life expires. Therefore, it’s vital that the epoxy process be highly organized, swift, and efficient. One way to improve efficiency is to have two operators on your production line, simultaneously dispensing epoxy. Both operators would fill their syringes from one 4-gram package, which offers a lower price per gram. This approach could minimize waste, reduce your epoxy cost, and streamline your fabrication process.
- Freeze the unused epoxy for future use – Let’s say you purchase 2.5-gram packages of epoxy and typically use 1½ to 2 grams of each package. The remaining epoxy goes to waste. Here’s an idea: Purchase 4-gram packages (at a lower price per gram), mix and use the epoxy as you normally would, then freeze the remaining epoxy for later use.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Ideas to adjust your epoxy process: Recommendations to reduce waste (and save money) in your fiber optic cable assembly process
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource: FOC Epoxy Page
- Find More Information in this Blog: Helpful Epoxy Tips (and a Few Tricks)
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team January 16, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Key specifications of connectors - January 3, 2020
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process adjustment - December 16, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – THAWING - November 13, 2019
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse it - October 23, 2019
- Measuring Insertion Loss and Return Loss Recommendations to Achieve the Best and Most Accurate Test Measurement - October 23, 2019
- Cross-Sectioning Fiber Optic Connectors: An Effective Diagnostic Method to Identify Defects and Resolve Process Issues - October 23, 2019
- The “Ideal” Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector – and How to Achieve It - October 23, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – recommended length of time - October 23, 2019
- Techniques when using stripping tools - October 18, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019