How do I measure the concentricity of, or tune, an APC connector?
The short answer is you can’t measure concentricity with an APC connector end-face. Producing tuned APC terminations comes down to technique. Concentricity can only be determined with a PC tip. So, usually an APC connector is selected with a non-pre-angled step-ferrule. It’s terminated then polished PC, typically only up to the D1 step, and then measured with a concentricity set up. After tuning, the ferrule base will be assembled into the housing. The rotational placement of the ferrule base (4, 6 or even 8 positions) provided by the tuning step will optimize the fiber center placement with respect to an ‘ideal’ connector. Afterwards, the APC polish is done.
It should be noted the measured value at the UPC point isn’t valid anymore because of the ferrule exit hole angle. During APC generation, considerable ceramic material (as related to the fiber and fiber core) is removed, and this offset alters the actually concentricity.
However, even though the UPC concentricity numbers aren’t ‘valid’, APC tuning is still done to minimize insertion loss. By determining the offset at the PC level, ‘tuning’ it so the fiber center is at the same spot as the OD center, selecting good ferrules (tight fit with the SM fiber), minimizing material removable during the APC polish, you can get a low connection loss; on the order of less than 0.05 dB.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 27, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019
- FOC Tips: Contamination on the outside of the ferrule or inside the adapter sleeve - April 9, 2019