How do I measure the concentricity of, or tune, an APC connector?
The short answer is you can’t measure concentricity with an APC connector end-face. Producing tuned APC terminations comes down to technique. Concentricity can only be determined with a PC tip. So, usually an APC connector is selected with a non-pre-angled step-ferrule. It’s terminated then polished PC, typically only up to the D1 step, and then measured with a concentricity set up. After tuning, the ferrule base will be assembled into the housing. The rotational placement of the ferrule base (4, 6 or even 8 positions) provided by the tuning step will optimize the fiber center placement with respect to an ‘ideal’ connector. Afterwards, the APC polish is done.
It should be noted the measured value at the UPC point isn’t valid anymore because of the ferrule exit hole angle. During APC generation, considerable ceramic material (as related to the fiber and fiber core) is removed, and this offset alters the actually concentricity.
However, even though the UPC concentricity numbers aren’t ‘valid’, APC tuning is still done to minimize insertion loss. By determining the offset at the PC level, ‘tuning’ it so the fiber center is at the same spot as the OD center, selecting good ferrules (tight fit with the SM fiber), minimizing material removable during the APC polish, you can get a low connection loss; on the order of less than 0.05 dB.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 27, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: automated end face inspection microscopes and where they come in - February 28, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What documentation have you published on how operators can better meet design goals? - January 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Chemical level changes in gas delivery system bubbling process - January 19, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Specialty optical preforms strength and deposition issues - January 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are experiencing chemical level drops in our chemical bubbler. Is this a temperature issue or should we be focusing on other variables? - January 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are having issues with shrinkage and are focusing on the polish step. Looking for some steps, best practices, solutions, etc. - January 4, 2018
- FOC Marketing Tip 12: Social Media Navigation - December 22, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 11: Business Development: An Honest Conversation - December 21, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 10: Product Inventory Management and a quick snapshot…. - December 20, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 9: Trade Show Strategy Revisited - December 19, 2017