How do I measure the concentricity of, or tune, an APC connector?
The short answer is you can’t measure concentricity with an APC connector end-face. Producing tuned APC terminations comes down to technique. Concentricity can only be determined with a PC tip. So, usually an APC connector is selected with a non-pre-angled step-ferrule. It’s terminated then polished PC, typically only up to the D1 step, and then measured with a concentricity set up. After tuning, the ferrule base will be assembled into the housing. The rotational placement of the ferrule base (4, 6 or even 8 positions) provided by the tuning step will optimize the fiber center placement with respect to an ‘ideal’ connector. Afterwards, the APC polish is done.
It should be noted the measured value at the UPC point isn’t valid anymore because of the ferrule exit hole angle. During APC generation, considerable ceramic material (as related to the fiber and fiber core) is removed, and this offset alters the actually concentricity.
However, even though the UPC concentricity numbers aren’t ‘valid’, APC tuning is still done to minimize insertion loss. By determining the offset at the PC level, ‘tuning’ it so the fiber center is at the same spot as the OD center, selecting good ferrules (tight fit with the SM fiber), minimizing material removable during the APC polish, you can get a low connection loss; on the order of less than 0.05 dB.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 27, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why are advancements in connectivity important and new designs so inevitable? - February 18, 2019
- FOC Tips: Return Loss (RL) is a measure of power reflected - February 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended minimum bond line thickness? - February 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: developing a polishing process, evaluate visual defects - February 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we get information about allergic issues on some of the specific epoxy products you sell? - February 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: Minus Coplanarity, the distance between the lowest fiber and the “best-fit plane” through the array of fibers - February 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what if you continually have problems with epoxy mixing? - February 6, 2019
- FOC Tips: passive component testers and wavelength - February 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can objects contact the bottom or sidewalls of the ultrasonic bath when cleaning polishing fixtures? - February 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: Step four of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - February 1, 2019