How do you ensure proper bond line thickness?
Plan to test your bond line thickness – and other epoxy processes – to ensure they are optimal for your application.
Remember this rule of thumb: “The application dictates.”
When developing a new process, engineers often undergo multiple steps to ensure proper bond line thickness. They evaluate parts under a microscope, test them, and may even ship parts to their end customers for testing in the application. If you’re implementing a new process, it could take weeks – or months – to fine-tune an epoxy process that achieves the required adhesion and performance.
If your process is set and you are changing epoxies, recognize that the properties of the new material are different. For example, if you previously used 2 mils of epoxy, you may need to adjust bond line thickness due to the new epoxy’s material properties. Also, take the time to understand the needed cure time for the new epoxy. Don’t assume you can swap out epoxies without testing and adjusting your process – it’s not apples to apples.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Bond Line Thickness & More: Answers to Common Epoxy Questions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 15, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: some patch cords show ‘gain’ so how can this be possible, is there something wrong with the instrument? - March 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019