How do you ensure proper bond line thickness?
Plan to test your bond line thickness – and other epoxy processes – to ensure they are optimal for your application.
Remember this rule of thumb: “The application dictates.”
When developing a new process, engineers often undergo multiple steps to ensure proper bond line thickness. They evaluate parts under a microscope, test them, and may even ship parts to their end customers for testing in the application. If you’re implementing a new process, it could take weeks – or months – to fine-tune an epoxy process that achieves the required adhesion and performance.
If your process is set and you are changing epoxies, recognize that the properties of the new material are different. For example, if you previously used 2 mils of epoxy, you may need to adjust bond line thickness due to the new epoxy’s material properties. Also, take the time to understand the needed cure time for the new epoxy. Don’t assume you can swap out epoxies without testing and adjusting your process – it’s not apples to apples.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Bond Line Thickness & More: Answers to Common Epoxy Questions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 15, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry? - July 18, 2019
- FOC Tips: Use the proper strip template when stripping for connectorization - July 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxy is the best for my application? - July 15, 2019
- Maple Syrup, Hidden Trails and Eerie Sights on the Third-Tallest Mountain in Vermont - July 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: the four major components of the fiber optic patch cord - July 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually? - July 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1550 higher than 1310 - July 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Should we check for crystallization? Do we need to adjust our inspection process? - July 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: diameter of the ferrule’s hole bore is larger than the outside diameter of the fiber - July 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we establish good cleaning techniques throughout the polishing process? - July 3, 2019