How do you get a two-part epoxy to achieve its maximum cured bonding properties?
For a two-part epoxy to achieve its maximum cured bonding properties, the two parts must be sufficiently mixed, and cured at the proper temperature and time. Improperly mixed or under-cured epoxy will generally NOT continue to cure at room temperature——the epoxy may APPEAR to be fully cured, and will exhibit sufficient bonding for the product to complete the assembly process—the product may very well pass all subsequent visual and IL / RL testing. But it will never have the long-term properties for which the epoxy was selected in the first place.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: The processes involved in Termination play a CRITICAL role in determining the long-term reliability of the product
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 29, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what happens if you overmix epoxy? - January 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: defining type and semi tight buffers as opposed to loose tubes in optical cables - January 3, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can one verify that epoxy processes are appropriate for the product? - December 27, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how many different ways are there to terminate an optical fiber which is tight buffered and where can I find more information on each? - December 20, 2018