If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line?
If an epoxy has a filler or glass beads, the manufacturer has included the filler for a reason. The filler is part of the material’s properties – a component of the whole mixture – that contributes to achieving the adhesion and performance listed on the datasheet. Theoretically, there could be reduced strength if the dimension of the filler approaches the thickness of the bond line. Most fillers are much smaller than 1 mil (25 microns) and should be no cause for concern. However, you should always test the bond lines as described above to have confidence the adhered joint achieves the strength and stability needed for the application.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Bond Line Thickness & More: Answers to Common Epoxy Questions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team January 8, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry? - July 18, 2019
- FOC Tips: Use the proper strip template when stripping for connectorization - July 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxy is the best for my application? - July 15, 2019
- Maple Syrup, Hidden Trails and Eerie Sights on the Third-Tallest Mountain in Vermont - July 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: the four major components of the fiber optic patch cord - July 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually? - July 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1550 higher than 1310 - July 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Should we check for crystallization? Do we need to adjust our inspection process? - July 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: diameter of the ferrule’s hole bore is larger than the outside diameter of the fiber - July 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we establish good cleaning techniques throughout the polishing process? - July 3, 2019