If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line?
If an epoxy has a filler or glass beads, the manufacturer has included the filler for a reason. The filler is part of the material’s properties – a component of the whole mixture – that contributes to achieving the adhesion and performance listed on the datasheet. Theoretically, there could be reduced strength if the dimension of the filler approaches the thickness of the bond line. Most fillers are much smaller than 1 mil (25 microns) and should be no cause for concern. However, you should always test the bond lines as described above to have confidence the adhered joint achieves the strength and stability needed for the application.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Bond Line Thickness & More: Answers to Common Epoxy Questions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team January 8, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what happens if you overmix epoxy? - January 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: defining type and semi tight buffers as opposed to loose tubes in optical cables - January 3, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can one verify that epoxy processes are appropriate for the product? - December 27, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how many different ways are there to terminate an optical fiber which is tight buffered and where can I find more information on each? - December 20, 2018