Is Laser cleaving suitable for every assembly operation?
The investment for cleaving systems is still significant and a semi-automated process might look attractive but the financial numbers need to reflect the improvements. An initial comparison between the manual cleaving operation and the laser cleaving operation is often concentrated on the time of cleave. As the operation time of a manual cleave is a matter of seconds, the manual cleave operation itself is in its advantage. Although the capacity of this operation is usually not a process bottleneck it’s evident that a laser cleaver shows its advantage with low profile cleave when reduced polishing cost on single fibers are taken into account. Generally volumes above 200.000-300.000 terminations per month (depending on the type of termination) start to show the break-off to consider this type of automation. For MT cleaving process the volume required to justify is much lower as the installed cost of a MT ferrule is much higher.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 25, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which connector has the longest history? - July 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: Characterize the oven ports to validate your curing schedule - July 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have any documentation available on controlling end-face geometry characteristics of PC ferrules? - July 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: in copper manufacture, the copper conductors are the strength members in many of the cable designs - July 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: way to avoid bubbles when mixing materials if you do not have the pieces of equipment like a speed mixer or centrifuge? - July 6, 2018
- FOC Tips: cleaning fiber with high purity of Isopropyl Alcohol - July 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are polymer plastics isotropic? - July 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: internal connector design and the correct amount of epoxy - July 2, 2018
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 10-4 campaign to support #5MillionSteps - July 2, 2018
- FOC’s step-by-step making a difference many places - July 1, 2018