Is there a full automation solution in the connector assembly process?
When discussing automation solutions in the connector assembly process, we must talk frankly about the typical connectivity process. FOC’s President and CEO, Ben Waite, wrote the article, A call to action: Automation in the connector assembly process is an essential next step for fiber optic connectivity, that addresses this exact question and our industry needs.
We recognize the incremental improvements over the past 40 years that include increased volume, from polishing a handful of connectors at a time to seventy-two, and automation, from hand pressure technology to mass polishing machines. That said, except for very large scale manufacturing, the current process looks very similar. We still manually assemble connectors and manually process them. To reduce manufacturing costs, our industry has migrated the manual production of fiber optic cable assemblies primarily to low-labor-cost regions of the world.
We encourage you to read the full article here: A call to action: Automation in the connector assembly process is an essential next step for fiber optic connectivity
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 22, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: Assess the quality and condition of test cables - June 25, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can I select the right epoxy for a new application? - June 24, 2019
- Twenty-three Miles and Three Mountains Later: Journey in Bethlehem - June 21, 2019
- FOC Tips: guides and resources for epoxy and adhesive options - June 20, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why isn’t there one standard polishing process? - June 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019