Is there a full automation solution in the connector assembly process?
When discussing automation solutions in the connector assembly process, we must talk frankly about the typical connectivity process. FOC’s President and CEO, Ben Waite, wrote the article, A call to action: Automation in the connector assembly process is an essential next step for fiber optic connectivity, that addresses this exact question and our industry needs.
We recognize the incremental improvements over the past 40 years that include increased volume, from polishing a handful of connectors at a time to seventy-two, and automation, from hand pressure technology to mass polishing machines. That said, except for very large scale manufacturing, the current process looks very similar. We still manually assemble connectors and manually process them. To reduce manufacturing costs, our industry has migrated the manual production of fiber optic cable assemblies primarily to low-labor-cost regions of the world.
We encourage you to read the full article here: A call to action: Automation in the connector assembly process is an essential next step for fiber optic connectivity
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 22, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Scratches and final film - August 13, 2019
- The importance of etching in Chemical Mechanical Planarization of MT ferrules - August 12, 2019
- Glass transition is analogous to the melting point of a solid - August 9, 2019
- Outer jacket and Good stripping techniques - August 7, 2019
- Is fabricating fiber optic cable assemblies a manual or automated process? - August 6, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – to stop the curing process - July 31, 2019
- If you use too much water and flood the platen - July 26, 2019
- Proper maintenance of polishing fixtures is absolutely essential - July 23, 2019
- Troubleshooting tips specific to Key Error - July 19, 2019
- Concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry - July 18, 2019