Is there a full automation solution in the connector assembly process?
When discussing automation solutions in the connector assembly process, we must talk frankly about the typical connectivity process. FOC’s President and CEO, Ben Waite, wrote the article, A call to action: Automation in the connector assembly process is an essential next step for fiber optic connectivity, that addresses this exact question and our industry needs.
We recognize the incremental improvements over the past 40 years that include increased volume, from polishing a handful of connectors at a time to seventy-two, and automation, from hand pressure technology to mass polishing machines. That said, except for very large scale manufacturing, the current process looks very similar. We still manually assemble connectors and manually process them. To reduce manufacturing costs, our industry has migrated the manual production of fiber optic cable assemblies primarily to low-labor-cost regions of the world.
We encourage you to read the full article here: A call to action: Automation in the connector assembly process is an essential next step for fiber optic connectivity
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 22, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Lapping film options, part 2 - May 18, 2020
- Standards for optical cable assembly manufacturers - May 7, 2020
- Key specifications of connectors - January 3, 2020
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process adjustment - December 16, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – THAWING - November 13, 2019
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse it - October 23, 2019
- Measuring Insertion Loss and Return Loss Recommendations to Achieve the Best and Most Accurate Test Measurement - October 23, 2019
- Cross-Sectioning Fiber Optic Connectors: An Effective Diagnostic Method to Identify Defects and Resolve Process Issues - October 23, 2019
- The “Ideal” Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector – and How to Achieve It - October 23, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – recommended length of time - October 23, 2019