Is there a way to avoid wasted epoxy?
Given that 2.5 grams is the smallest size that is practicably achievable, FOC recommends saving any extra epoxy in a secondary dispensing container (like a syringe), frozen -40°C. -40°C essentially stops the curing reaction and will work for a period of ~ 6 months (please verify for the epoxy you are working with).
The small quantity is easily cooled and reheated for later dispensing. This approach can be tailored for very small applications by mixing a 2.5 gram bi-pack, using immediately what is needed for the application and using the extra epoxy to fill the right amount of syringes for freezing and later dispensing. Any secondary packaging operation needs to be done expeditiously since any time the epoxy spends at room temperature is time spent curing, and diminishing any future available work time.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Why are epoxy bi-packs 2.5 grams?
Bookmark FOC’s Adhesive/Epoxy Page and Contact Info at: https://focenter.com/angstrombond/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 7, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019
- FOC Tips: Contamination on the outside of the ferrule or inside the adapter sleeve - April 9, 2019