Is there a way to avoid wasted epoxy?
Given that 2.5 grams is the smallest size that is practicably achievable, FOC recommends saving any extra epoxy in a secondary dispensing container (like a syringe), frozen -40°C. -40°C essentially stops the curing reaction and will work for a period of ~ 6 months (please verify for the epoxy you are working with).
The small quantity is easily cooled and reheated for later dispensing. This approach can be tailored for very small applications by mixing a 2.5 gram bi-pack, using immediately what is needed for the application and using the extra epoxy to fill the right amount of syringes for freezing and later dispensing. Any secondary packaging operation needs to be done expeditiously since any time the epoxy spends at room temperature is time spent curing, and diminishing any future available work time.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Why are epoxy bi-packs 2.5 grams?
Bookmark FOC’s Adhesive/Epoxy Page and Contact Info at: https://focenter.com/angstrombond/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 7, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: cables hanging in existing masts vs. installing ducts in the ground - June 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are there Standards on the amount of contamination for multi-fiber end-faces? - June 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: “transition point” where buffered fiber is stripped away to reveal the bare fiber - June 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where can I get a little bit of Teflon? - June 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: dual asymmetric centrifuge - June 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: contamination of fixture affecting precision - June 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: cross sectioning and detailed failure analysis - June 8, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a way to avoid wasted epoxy? - June 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: 2-stage heat cure - June 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why is The Phenix fibersect fiber cleaving device referred to as an ‘industry standard’ in some places? - June 5, 2018