I am noticing a large epoxy ring with visual inspection. Can you help me understand what I am looking at?
ANSWER: Occasionally we receive visual inspection pictures from multimode connectors that shows an evident rough epoxy ring around the fiber. To get a bit more in depth with the answer, I have five bullets of tips and info plus a photo in my blog post to help with this: https://focenter.com/noticing-a-large-epoxy-ring-with-visual-inspection/ Another influence, outside of the details in my blog, might be that the ferrules are insufficient filled with epoxy into the ferrule might relate to air bubbles as well. Please see another FOC blog that describes more details about this: https://focenter.com/assuring-the-correct-amount-of-epoxy-is-in-the-connector/
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team September 3, 2015
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Where does dust based end face contamination come from? - August 16, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the highest capacity fiber count an OCETS can handle? - August 9, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is it important to clean both ends of the connector pair? - August 8, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How residue based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - August 2, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Larry Donalds as Business Development, Fiber Design and Manufacturing, Technical Sales - July 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What happens if there are dust particles on one of the connector end faces during the connector mating process? - July 18, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: OCETS: How do I configure the software to work with the chamber? - July 12, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces High Refractive Index Coating for Optoelectronics, LEDs, Emissive displays, AL-2264 - July 7, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How dust based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - July 2, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How does an electrostatic charge get onto a fiber optic ferrule and how does that create contamination issues? - July 1, 2017