Our epoxy is curing differently and has a different color. Can I use it?
Color variation from batch to batch is a non-issue. Since epoxies are manufactured in batches, the raw materials used by manufacturers to synthesize the epoxy are subject to small variations. These slight variations in raw materials can result in mild color variations.
About the curing difference…. while it is possible for a batch of epoxy to be faulty, this is very rare. Most likely, this points to some variation in the epoxy that is allowed by the epoxy’s specification. Again, epoxies are manufactured in batches, with specified manufacturing windows for viscosity, work time, and other parameters. This means the final product can – and probably will – show some variation from batch to batch. What happens if your cable assembly process has been very specifically tailored to a given batch of epoxy and a new batch has slightly different properties? This slight variation might result in an unwelcome disruption to your production process. However, minor process adjustments can solve the issue and, happily, make for a more robust process. Read my article to learn how.
READ THIS FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Helpful Epoxy Tips (and a Few Tricks)
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 8, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: Use the proper strip template when stripping for connectorization - July 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxy is the best for my application? - July 15, 2019
- Maple Syrup, Hidden Trails and Eerie Sights on the Third-Tallest Mountain in Vermont - July 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: the four major components of the fiber optic patch cord - July 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually? - July 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1550 higher than 1310 - July 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Should we check for crystallization? Do we need to adjust our inspection process? - July 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: diameter of the ferrule’s hole bore is larger than the outside diameter of the fiber - July 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we establish good cleaning techniques throughout the polishing process? - July 3, 2019
- FOC Tips: Connectors are aligned and contacted optimally - July 2, 2019