QUESTION: Is Domaille APM-HDC-5300 the only polisher for MTP/MPO? I know normal polishing machines for patch cords and Domaille is one of the more expensive when we compare to others. I understood that Domaille’s technology is very good but I just wondered if we can use another brand or not.
ANSWER: Your question is understandable as there is a significant price difference. There are options, assuming you do not need the top computerized model. The APM-HDC-4000 would give you the same performance for less with almost the same process controls. The initial purchase will still be more expensive than other polishing machines, but with the 4000 you will benefit from the lowest production cost by spending less money on inspection and rework. Rework is very expensive on MTP assemblies and, according to our customers, other machines are over 30% more expensive on reworks. Also, work-flow and process times are optimized with the Domaille platform, further decreasing your continual manufacturing costs.
Please note my Blog, Polishers: Discussion on Expense and Top Technology (https://focenter.com/polishers-discussion-on-expense-and-top-technology/)
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team December 6, 2015
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Where does dust based end face contamination come from? - August 16, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the highest capacity fiber count an OCETS can handle? - August 9, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is it important to clean both ends of the connector pair? - August 8, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How residue based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - August 2, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Larry Donalds as Business Development, Fiber Design and Manufacturing, Technical Sales - July 24, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What happens if there are dust particles on one of the connector end faces during the connector mating process? - July 18, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: OCETS: How do I configure the software to work with the chamber? - July 12, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces High Refractive Index Coating for Optoelectronics, LEDs, Emissive displays, AL-2264 - July 7, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How dust based contamination cause signal loss between a mated connector pair? - July 2, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How does an electrostatic charge get onto a fiber optic ferrule and how does that create contamination issues? - July 1, 2017