Is there a way to avoid bubbles when mixing materials if you do not have the pieces of equipment like a speed mixer or centrifuge?
To avoid bubbles when mixing materials if you do not have the pieces of equipment like a speed mixer or centrifuge, let physics be your guide. Place your thoroughly mixed material in the refrigerator (5 to 10ºC) to slow down the cure process and preserve the pot life. Let the mixture stand in the refrigerator for several hours (depending on pot life, overnight might be a possibility). This will permit bubbles to rise and dissipate (buoyancy) and will also permit dissolved air to diffuse to the surface and equilibrate with the ambient air (diffusion). The main disadvantage of this approach is that it consumes some pot life. A minor disadvantage (to be aware of) is that once the refrigerated material is brought back to room temperature, care must be taken to prevent condensation of moisture onto the material. Condensation will occur when the ambient dew point is higher than the refrigeration temperature. In most cases, if the ambient air is actively air-conditioned to 68ºC or below, and the refrigerator is at 5ºC or greater, condensation will not occur.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Polymer Expert Blog: Defeating Bubbles . . . naturally
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 6, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which connector has the longest history? - July 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: Characterize the oven ports to validate your curing schedule - July 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have any documentation available on controlling end-face geometry characteristics of PC ferrules? - July 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: in copper manufacture, the copper conductors are the strength members in many of the cable designs - July 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: way to avoid bubbles when mixing materials if you do not have the pieces of equipment like a speed mixer or centrifuge? - July 6, 2018
- FOC Tips: cleaning fiber with high purity of Isopropyl Alcohol - July 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are polymer plastics isotropic? - July 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: internal connector design and the correct amount of epoxy - July 2, 2018
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 10-4 campaign to support #5MillionSteps - July 2, 2018
- FOC’s step-by-step making a difference many places - July 1, 2018