We are experiencing runout while rotating the lathe. How do you handle getting the runout under control?
While rotating the lathe at approximately 40-50 RPM the rotary seal extension tube should have only a small amount of runout to prevent seal movement, possible connection leakage, and potential tube cracking. If there is significant runout, the handle should be straightened before proceeding with the setup. Failure to correct this can cause issues during the deposition process potentially leading to a lost fabrication attempt.
Update: We have sections on Loading the tube onto the lathe, Initial deposition tube straightening and The final tube straightening/stress relieving process in our blog, Preparing to Manufacture an Optical Fiber Preform.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 4, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: inspection needs when focused on helping protect the bottom line - May 18, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are the choice of epoxies critically important and if so, why? - May 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber cleaning - May 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: determining over polishing of the connector is difficult to gauge - May 14, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is homemade pre-mixed and frozen epoxy real? - May 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: optical fiber UV coated, acts as a thermal insulator - May 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how does FOC’s lapping film supplier produce this with protection to the environment? - May 9, 2018
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the ÅngströmBond Solutions Center to provide the industry with epoxy technical solutions and products - May 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: heat-cure two component epoxy - May 7, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what kind of cleaning and maintenance is required for fiber optic polishing equipment? - May 4, 2018