We are having issues with shrinkage and are focusing on the polish step. Looking for some steps, best practices, solutions, etc.
The final step prior to the first deposition pass is a high-temperature (~2000 degrees C) flame polish. We have a section on Flame Polish in our blog, Preparing to Manufacture an Optical Fiber Preform that includes helpful tips.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team January 4, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we figure out ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connectors? - October 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: epoxy de-gassing - October 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – gradually decrease grit size when sanding and polishing - October 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do you ensure proper bond line thickness? - October 15, 2018
- FOC Tips: purchasing bulk material for fiber optic epoxies - October 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended needle size to dispense epoxy? - October 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber diameters - October 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can you decrease and increase Radius values? - October 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: testing of dissimilar connector styles - October 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: guidance for developing a fiber optic polishing process? - October 4, 2018