What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them?
Note that COATED flock pile pads have a chemical deposition on the fibers. The chemical choices for Ångström coated flock pile pads are:
- Aluminum oxide
- Cerium oxide
- Silicon carbide
- Silicon dioxide
Activated by water, each chemical reacts differently with different materials and has a specific function. For example, coated flock pile pads with aluminum oxide and cerium oxide are considered the etchers, because they create the etching effect.
Which coated flock pile pads should you use? As noted above, it depends on the specific MT ferrules you use in your fiber optic cable assembly.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Using Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) to polish MT ferrules and get repeatable, predictable results
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource: FOC Film Page
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team May 13, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – THAWING - November 13, 2019
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse it - October 23, 2019
- Measuring Insertion Loss and Return Loss Recommendations to Achieve the Best and Most Accurate Test Measurement - October 23, 2019
- Cross-Sectioning Fiber Optic Connectors: An Effective Diagnostic Method to Identify Defects and Resolve Process Issues - October 23, 2019
- The “Ideal” Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector – and How to Achieve It - October 23, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – recommended length of time - October 23, 2019
- Techniques when using stripping tools - October 18, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019
- Aramid yarns and Good stripping techniques - September 11, 2019
- When the “back-side” connector end-face is contaminated, it is difficult to have access to remove the connector for cleaning - September 8, 2019