What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors?
All three methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors have advantages and disadvantages highlighted here:
- High costs of X-Ray and Sonar inspection services in the multiple $1000s per connector versus the $300-600 cost per connector for destructive cross sectioning. Much more $ investment in equipment for X-RAY and Sonar versus Destructive cross sectioning.
- Better internal detail of exactly how the connector was assembled and better detail for failure analysis of destructive cross sectioning.
- Although X-Ray and Sonar are NON Destructive they offer limited internal views of critical features of the bare fiber inside connector. This includes the wicking of the epoxy thru the connector, insufficient/excess epoxy applications air bubbles and nicks/fractures in the fiber
- Destructive Cross Sectioning is available to all companies with limited equipment requirements to monitor internal production and provide rapid failure analysis to prevent ongoing problems and defects in the connector.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Cross Sectioning of Fiber Optic Connectors: the three methods, advantages and disadvantages
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource:
- Find More Information in this Blog:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 9, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy and the how to - August 23, 2019
- Proper curing temperature profile - August 22, 2019
- Scratches and final film - August 13, 2019
- The importance of etching in Chemical Mechanical Planarization of MT ferrules - August 12, 2019
- Glass transition is analogous to the melting point of a solid - August 9, 2019
- Outer jacket and Good stripping techniques - August 7, 2019
- Is fabricating fiber optic cable assemblies a manual or automated process? - August 6, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – to stop the curing process - July 31, 2019
- If you use too much water and flood the platen - July 26, 2019
- Proper maintenance of polishing fixtures is absolutely essential - July 23, 2019