What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors?
All three methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors have advantages and disadvantages highlighted here:
- High costs of X-Ray and Sonar inspection services in the multiple $1000s per connector versus the $300-600 cost per connector for destructive cross sectioning. Much more $ investment in equipment for X-RAY and Sonar versus Destructive cross sectioning.
- Better internal detail of exactly how the connector was assembled and better detail for failure analysis of destructive cross sectioning.
- Although X-Ray and Sonar are NON Destructive they offer limited internal views of critical features of the bare fiber inside connector. This includes the wicking of the epoxy thru the connector, insufficient/excess epoxy applications air bubbles and nicks/fractures in the fiber
- Destructive Cross Sectioning is available to all companies with limited equipment requirements to monitor internal production and provide rapid failure analysis to prevent ongoing problems and defects in the connector.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Cross Sectioning of Fiber Optic Connectors: the three methods, advantages and disadvantages
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 9, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019