What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors?
All three methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors have advantages and disadvantages highlighted here:
- High costs of X-Ray and Sonar inspection services in the multiple $1000s per connector versus the $300-600 cost per connector for destructive cross sectioning. Much more $ investment in equipment for X-RAY and Sonar versus Destructive cross sectioning.
- Better internal detail of exactly how the connector was assembled and better detail for failure analysis of destructive cross sectioning.
- Although X-Ray and Sonar are NON Destructive they offer limited internal views of critical features of the bare fiber inside connector. This includes the wicking of the epoxy thru the connector, insufficient/excess epoxy applications air bubbles and nicks/fractures in the fiber
- Destructive Cross Sectioning is available to all companies with limited equipment requirements to monitor internal production and provide rapid failure analysis to prevent ongoing problems and defects in the connector.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Cross Sectioning of Fiber Optic Connectors: the three methods, advantages and disadvantages
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 9, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: epoxy de-gassing - October 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – gradually decrease grit size when sanding and polishing - October 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do you ensure proper bond line thickness? - October 15, 2018
- FOC Tips: purchasing bulk material for fiber optic epoxies - October 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended needle size to dispense epoxy? - October 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber diameters - October 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can you decrease and increase Radius values? - October 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: testing of dissimilar connector styles - October 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: guidance for developing a fiber optic polishing process? - October 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what industries need a fiber optic SMA today? - October 2, 2018