What are the advantages of SMA connectors over others?
There are advantages that SMAs have, which are not shared by their more modern and recent connector style cousins:
- Doctors are familiar, and comfortable, working with SMAs on lasers and other medical equipment,
- There are many more accessories available for the SMA than any other connector: mating sleeves/adaptors in half and full lengths, in a variety of threadings, nuts and materials; device receptacles sized to take several standard “can” (LED, laser and detector packages) configurations and dimensions; hardware for positioning on optical benches.
- Testing assemblies is largely limited to visual inspection and insertion loss, limiting time and expense related to test equipment,
- Almost 40 years of reliable experience in a tremendous variety of applications.
Although the SMA connector is part of ancient history in the fiber industry, it nevertheless remains a relevant and key enabler for tomorrow’s instruments, products and procedures which use specialty fibers.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 28, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 higher than 1550 - June 5, 2019