What are the advantages of SMA connectors over others?
There are advantages that SMAs have, which are not shared by their more modern and recent connector style cousins:
- Doctors are familiar, and comfortable, working with SMAs on lasers and other medical equipment,
- There are many more accessories available for the SMA than any other connector: mating sleeves/adaptors in half and full lengths, in a variety of threadings, nuts and materials; device receptacles sized to take several standard “can” (LED, laser and detector packages) configurations and dimensions; hardware for positioning on optical benches.
- Testing assemblies is largely limited to visual inspection and insertion loss, limiting time and expense related to test equipment,
- Almost 40 years of reliable experience in a tremendous variety of applications.
Although the SMA connector is part of ancient history in the fiber industry, it nevertheless remains a relevant and key enabler for tomorrow’s instruments, products and procedures which use specialty fibers.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 28, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: Return Loss (RL) is a measure of power reflected - February 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended minimum bond line thickness? - February 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: developing a polishing process, evaluate visual defects - February 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we get information about allergic issues on some of the specific epoxy products you sell? - February 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: Minus Coplanarity, the distance between the lowest fiber and the “best-fit plane” through the array of fibers - February 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what if you continually have problems with epoxy mixing? - February 6, 2019
- FOC Tips: passive component testers and wavelength - February 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can objects contact the bottom or sidewalls of the ultrasonic bath when cleaning polishing fixtures? - February 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: Step four of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - February 1, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What’s the easiest way to load a syringe with a mixed package of epoxy? - January 31, 2019