What are the advantages of SMA connectors over others?
There are advantages that SMAs have, which are not shared by their more modern and recent connector style cousins:
- Doctors are familiar, and comfortable, working with SMAs on lasers and other medical equipment,
- There are many more accessories available for the SMA than any other connector: mating sleeves/adaptors in half and full lengths, in a variety of threadings, nuts and materials; device receptacles sized to take several standard “can” (LED, laser and detector packages) configurations and dimensions; hardware for positioning on optical benches.
- Testing assemblies is largely limited to visual inspection and insertion loss, limiting time and expense related to test equipment,
- Almost 40 years of reliable experience in a tremendous variety of applications.
Although the SMA connector is part of ancient history in the fiber industry, it nevertheless remains a relevant and key enabler for tomorrow’s instruments, products and procedures which use specialty fibers.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 28, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the main applications and industries for optical fiber other than communication networks? - December 11, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: if a fiber is damaged during stripping, will it affect the finished product? - December 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector B” notes - December 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: for benchtop microscopes, what types of contamination are they best suited to identify? - December 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: Follow the Telcordia GR-326 standard to validate your curing schedule - December 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we reduce the risk of dermatitis when working with epoxies? - December 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step three of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages of SMA connectors over others? - November 28, 2018
- FOC Tips: Apex Offset for APC Ferrules - November 27, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when cleaning polishing fixtures, does the entire object need to be submerged in an ultrasonic bath? - November 26, 2018