What are the advantages of SMA connectors over others?
There are advantages that SMAs have, which are not shared by their more modern and recent connector style cousins:
- Doctors are familiar, and comfortable, working with SMAs on lasers and other medical equipment,
- There are many more accessories available for the SMA than any other connector: mating sleeves/adaptors in half and full lengths, in a variety of threadings, nuts and materials; device receptacles sized to take several standard “can” (LED, laser and detector packages) configurations and dimensions; hardware for positioning on optical benches.
- Testing assemblies is largely limited to visual inspection and insertion loss, limiting time and expense related to test equipment,
- Almost 40 years of reliable experience in a tremendous variety of applications.
Although the SMA connector is part of ancient history in the fiber industry, it nevertheless remains a relevant and key enabler for tomorrow’s instruments, products and procedures which use specialty fibers.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource:
- Find More Information in this Blog:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 28, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Techniques when using stripping tools - October 18, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019
- Aramid yarns and Good stripping techniques - September 11, 2019
- When the “back-side” connector end-face is contaminated, it is difficult to have access to remove the connector for cleaning - September 8, 2019
- Fiber Optic Cable Splicing Explained - September 7, 2019
- Ways in which the end-face can become contaminated along the way - September 6, 2019
- Removal of coatings from short fiber in certain sections - September 5, 2019
- End-face quality and cleanliness - September 4, 2019
- Re-cleaning a connector after installation - September 4, 2019
- The two wavelengths used for Insertion Loss testing - September 3, 2019