What are the concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry?
One of the concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry is that you want a stable technology. Again, fusion splicing serves as a good example: when companies began using fusion splicing (as opposed to other methods of permanent termination) that process became very stable. Whether factory or field splicing, they are using the same equipment and stability. The point is that while one process was developed (fusion splicing) the process equipment continued to upgrade and add more features but the core process did not change. We had one process, initially very operator sensitive that due to the advances in generic robotics and manufacturing automation allowed automation. An example from a different industry is the assembly of automobiles. For decades, auto manufacturers have robot welded unibodies together. This stable technology successfully automated a major non-stable step in the manufacturing process
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: A call to action: Automation in the connector assembly process is an essential next step for fiber optic connectivity
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 18, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Scratches and final film - August 13, 2019
- The importance of etching in Chemical Mechanical Planarization of MT ferrules - August 12, 2019
- Glass transition is analogous to the melting point of a solid - August 9, 2019
- Outer jacket and Good stripping techniques - August 7, 2019
- Is fabricating fiber optic cable assemblies a manual or automated process? - August 6, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – to stop the curing process - July 31, 2019
- If you use too much water and flood the platen - July 26, 2019
- Proper maintenance of polishing fixtures is absolutely essential - July 23, 2019
- Troubleshooting tips specific to Key Error - July 19, 2019
- Concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry - July 18, 2019