What causes the Apex of a radius to be imperfect, to be off-center?
Angles do. Angles create Apex Offset. Apex Offset is the result of polishing at an angle. The ferrule being at an angle to the polishing surface during polishing (for whatever reason—-imprecise hole bore in a polishing fixture, uneven polishing surface, contamination on ferrule OD, etc.) will cause the Apex of that radius to be cut off-set from the ferrule center. The larger the angle, the larger the Apex Offset. There is a mathematical relationship between Angle, Apex Offset and Radius: Tan (Angle) = Apex/Radius. If we know any two values, we can mathematically calculate the third. This applies to APC ferrules as well, but with one additional factor: Key Error.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Polished Connector Geometries, APC
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource:
- Find More Information in this Blog:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team November 8 , 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – THAWING - November 13, 2019
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse it - October 23, 2019
- Measuring Insertion Loss and Return Loss Recommendations to Achieve the Best and Most Accurate Test Measurement - October 23, 2019
- Cross-Sectioning Fiber Optic Connectors: An Effective Diagnostic Method to Identify Defects and Resolve Process Issues - October 23, 2019
- The “Ideal” Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector – and How to Achieve It - October 23, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – recommended length of time - October 23, 2019
- Techniques when using stripping tools - October 18, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019
- Aramid yarns and Good stripping techniques - September 11, 2019
- When the “back-side” connector end-face is contaminated, it is difficult to have access to remove the connector for cleaning - September 8, 2019