What is the recommended minimum bond line thickness?
A general guideline for minimum bond line thickness is between 25 to 150 microns (1 to 6 mils) – as a starting point. I recommend you choose a certain level to start, then make a few thicker and thinner versions of the bond. Take time to inspect completed bonds carefully to learn how a bond can fail, evaluate the performance for your application, and adjust bond line thickness as necessary to achieve a quality bond.
For every application, bond line thickness depends on:
- The geometry of the bond area
- The substrates being bonded
- The material itself (the epoxy’s chemistry can dictate a specific minimum bond line thickness)
- The temperature cycling the bond will need to survive
- Proper surface preparation (improper cleaning can negate adhesion)
- The cure time and method of cure
- Bond line thickness and curing time go hand-in-hand to achieve sufficient adhesion and performance. Carefully review the epoxy manufacturer’s datasheet, including any charts showing bond line thickness versus cure time for the various curing methods.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Bond Line Thickness & More: Answers to Common Epoxy Questions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team February 13, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: Return Loss (RL) is a measure of power reflected - February 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended minimum bond line thickness? - February 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: developing a polishing process, evaluate visual defects - February 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we get information about allergic issues on some of the specific epoxy products you sell? - February 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: Minus Coplanarity, the distance between the lowest fiber and the “best-fit plane” through the array of fibers - February 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what if you continually have problems with epoxy mixing? - February 6, 2019
- FOC Tips: passive component testers and wavelength - February 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can objects contact the bottom or sidewalls of the ultrasonic bath when cleaning polishing fixtures? - February 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: Step four of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - February 1, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What’s the easiest way to load a syringe with a mixed package of epoxy? - January 31, 2019