What is the recommended minimum bond line thickness?
A general guideline for minimum bond line thickness is between 25 to 150 microns (1 to 6 mils) – as a starting point. I recommend you choose a certain level to start, then make a few thicker and thinner versions of the bond. Take time to inspect completed bonds carefully to learn how a bond can fail, evaluate the performance for your application, and adjust bond line thickness as necessary to achieve a quality bond.
For every application, bond line thickness depends on:
- The geometry of the bond area
- The substrates being bonded
- The material itself (the epoxy’s chemistry can dictate a specific minimum bond line thickness)
- The temperature cycling the bond will need to survive
- Proper surface preparation (improper cleaning can negate adhesion)
- The cure time and method of cure
- Bond line thickness and curing time go hand-in-hand to achieve sufficient adhesion and performance. Carefully review the epoxy manufacturer’s datasheet, including any charts showing bond line thickness versus cure time for the various curing methods.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Bond Line Thickness & More: Answers to Common Epoxy Questions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team February 13, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019