When stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually?
It important to consider that when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, each layer must usually be stripped individually, as they all usually need to be stripped to different lengths. That is, you cannot strip the above cable in one “go”, the layers must be stripped progressively.
The Jacket must be stripped, then the Aramid Yarn, then the Buffers. (there is a slight exception with the Buffers, noted in our blog article). And thus, when stripping an outer layer, care must be taken to ensure that the layers underneath are not damaged.
Regardless of the stripping tools you use, always be sure to properly maintain the, to keep cutting edges sharp.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Good stripping techniques for your fiber optic cable assembly process
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 10, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – THAWING - November 13, 2019
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse it - October 23, 2019
- Measuring Insertion Loss and Return Loss Recommendations to Achieve the Best and Most Accurate Test Measurement - October 23, 2019
- Cross-Sectioning Fiber Optic Connectors: An Effective Diagnostic Method to Identify Defects and Resolve Process Issues - October 23, 2019
- The “Ideal” Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector – and How to Achieve It - October 23, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – recommended length of time - October 23, 2019
- Techniques when using stripping tools - October 18, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019
- Aramid yarns and Good stripping techniques - September 11, 2019
- When the “back-side” connector end-face is contaminated, it is difficult to have access to remove the connector for cleaning - September 8, 2019