When stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually?
It important to consider that when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, each layer must usually be stripped individually, as they all usually need to be stripped to different lengths. That is, you cannot strip the above cable in one “go”, the layers must be stripped progressively.
The Jacket must be stripped, then the Aramid Yarn, then the Buffers. (there is a slight exception with the Buffers, noted in our blog article). And thus, when stripping an outer layer, care must be taken to ensure that the layers underneath are not damaged.
Regardless of the stripping tools you use, always be sure to properly maintain the, to keep cutting edges sharp.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Good stripping techniques for your fiber optic cable assembly process
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 10, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: Use the proper strip template when stripping for connectorization - July 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxy is the best for my application? - July 15, 2019
- Maple Syrup, Hidden Trails and Eerie Sights on the Third-Tallest Mountain in Vermont - July 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: the four major components of the fiber optic patch cord - July 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually? - July 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1550 higher than 1310 - July 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Should we check for crystallization? Do we need to adjust our inspection process? - July 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: diameter of the ferrule’s hole bore is larger than the outside diameter of the fiber - July 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we establish good cleaning techniques throughout the polishing process? - July 3, 2019
- FOC Tips: Connectors are aligned and contacted optimally - July 2, 2019