When you’re setting up your process and determining how much epoxy to dispense into a ferrule, how can you be sure you have the proper fill inside the ferrule?
Here’s a simple tip: Use a scrap piece of 900-micron cable as a dipstick (just as you would use a dipstick to check the oil in a car). Follow these steps:
- Inject epoxy according to your procedure.
- Take a 900-micron cable and push it all the way into the ferrule until it bottoms out on the rear of the ceramic ferrule. (Note: The cable is not stripped. We’re not concerned with inserting fiber into the ferrule bore, just a piece of 900-micron cable.)
- Remove the dipstick, which will be wetted with epoxy.
- Check to see if you have the desired 2mm to 3mm of wetness on the cable. If you have more than this, you risk overfilling the ferrule. If you have less, the risk is underfilling.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Bonding Optical Fiber to the Ceramic Ferrule Part 1: Best practices for epoxy preparation and dispensing
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team August 31, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – wet-sanding offers more luster - January 22, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does fiber height variation increase when overall fiber heights increases? - January 21, 2019
- FOC Tips: even stripped fiber, free of damage, during stripping and handling is susceptible to breaking ….. - January 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we minimize epoxy material waste and reduce costs? - January 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019