Where can I get some information on SMA connector over polishing?
For other types of actively used connectors, SMA for example, the design intent of this connector has a specific pre-polish length and final after polish length of .3860”-.3863” this is a critical length to maintain as both connectors in a mating adapters would contact each other and provide repeatable insertion loss readings. If one of the connectors was over polished by even .0001” a non-contact would occur and create a high loss mating. This after polish length also applies to the old ATT Biconic style connector that required the finish polish to be held to .0003”.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: “How can I tell I have over-polished a connector?“ asked more often than you might think…
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team September 21, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is a static mixer the recommendation for fiber optic epoxies? - December 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: connector backside - December 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the main applications and industries for optical fiber other than communication networks? - December 11, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: if a fiber is damaged during stripping, will it affect the finished product? - December 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector B” notes - December 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: for benchtop microscopes, what types of contamination are they best suited to identify? - December 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: Follow the Telcordia GR-326 standard to validate your curing schedule - December 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we reduce the risk of dermatitis when working with epoxies? - December 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step three of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages of SMA connectors over others? - November 28, 2018