Where can I get some information on SMA connector over polishing?
For other types of actively used connectors, SMA for example, the design intent of this connector has a specific pre-polish length and final after polish length of .3860”-.3863” this is a critical length to maintain as both connectors in a mating adapters would contact each other and provide repeatable insertion loss readings. If one of the connectors was over polished by even .0001” a non-contact would occur and create a high loss mating. This after polish length also applies to the old ATT Biconic style connector that required the finish polish to be held to .0003”.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: “How can I tell I have over-polished a connector?“ asked more often than you might think…
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team September 21, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019
- FOC Tips: Contamination on the outside of the ferrule or inside the adapter sleeve - April 9, 2019