Where does dust based end face contamination come from?
There are two basic sources of dust based contamination.
- Wear Debris
The most common source is wear debris caused by the contact friction of inserting a connector into the adapter. Connectors like the SC and MPO have sliding housing that are held in place by latches in the adapter. Other connector systems like the ST, FC, and many of the hardened connector systems have metal housings that are threaded and use orientation keys that generate wear debris. Other sources of wear debris are the protective end caps. Removing the end caps from a connector that was perfectly clean during the last inspection at factory will cause the end face to become contaminated when the end cap is removed by the installer.
2. Environmental Dust
The other common contributors for dust based contamination is our environment. The common sources of dust in the air that contribute to dust based contamination include:
- Dead skin, hair, and clothing lint
- Foam based swabs and paper based wipes
- Zinc whiskers from electroplated surfaces
- Cardboard packaging
- Plant pollen and molds
- Aerial blown dirt and sands
- Concrete and carpet dust
- Electricity generation & vehicle emissions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team WITH the Sticklers MicroCare Corporation Team August 16, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we figure out ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connectors? - October 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: epoxy de-gassing - October 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – gradually decrease grit size when sanding and polishing - October 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do you ensure proper bond line thickness? - October 15, 2018
- FOC Tips: purchasing bulk material for fiber optic epoxies - October 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended needle size to dispense epoxy? - October 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber diameters - October 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can you decrease and increase Radius values? - October 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: testing of dissimilar connector styles - October 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: guidance for developing a fiber optic polishing process? - October 4, 2018