Where does dust based end face contamination come from?
There are two basic sources of dust based contamination.
- Wear Debris
The most common source is wear debris caused by the contact friction of inserting a connector into the adapter. Connectors like the SC and MPO have sliding housing that are held in place by latches in the adapter. Other connector systems like the ST, FC, and many of the hardened connector systems have metal housings that are threaded and use orientation keys that generate wear debris. Other sources of wear debris are the protective end caps. Removing the end caps from a connector that was perfectly clean during the last inspection at factory will cause the end face to become contaminated when the end cap is removed by the installer.
2. Environmental Dust
The other common contributors for dust based contamination is our environment. The common sources of dust in the air that contribute to dust based contamination include:
- Dead skin, hair, and clothing lint
- Foam based swabs and paper based wipes
- Zinc whiskers from electroplated surfaces
- Cardboard packaging
- Plant pollen and molds
- Aerial blown dirt and sands
- Concrete and carpet dust
- Electricity generation & vehicle emissions
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team WITH the Sticklers MicroCare Corporation Team August 16, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019