Which connector has the longest history?
The first connector to be accepted as a widely used standard in the early days of the fiber optic industry, in the late 1970s, was designed by Amphenol in CT as a variation of their coaxial electrical connect known as subminiature assembly, or SMA. In those days, fiber was multimode and the clad diameters were 125 um and up, to 230 and 1000 um. For the smallest sizes, Amphenol developed a unique and patented design that used four tightly machined metal rods in a larger hole in the connector ferrule. The rods were uniformly round enough to place the fiber in the center of the connector and allow for acceptable insertion losses of 1.25 - 2 dB per km at 850 nm.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 13, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have information on common layers and what to consider when stripping? - May 20, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and damage - May 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to help establish good cleaning techniques throughout your polishing process - May 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does Fiber Optic Center accept returns of crystallized epoxies? - May 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: implementing a cross-sectioning capability IN-HOUSE - May 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them? - May 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 and 1550 similar - May 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Our epoxy is curing differently and has a different color. Can I use it? - May 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: the hole in the ferrule is not perfectly centered - May 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a trick to keep the polishing film from moving? - May 6, 2019