Which connector has the longest history?
The first connector to be accepted as a widely used standard in the early days of the fiber optic industry, in the late 1970s, was designed by Amphenol in CT as a variation of their coaxial electrical connect known as subminiature assembly, or SMA. In those days, fiber was multimode and the clad diameters were 125 um and up, to 230 and 1000 um. For the smallest sizes, Amphenol developed a unique and patented design that used four tightly machined metal rods in a larger hole in the connector ferrule. The rods were uniformly round enough to place the fiber in the center of the connector and allow for acceptable insertion losses of 1.25 - 2 dB per km at 850 nm.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 13, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Is there a real need for 3D printing polishing film beyond sandpaper? - September 25, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how many categories are there for buffered fibers? - September 25, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping blades - September 24, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where can I get some information on SMA connector over polishing? - September 21, 2018
- FOC Tips: SMA High Power application - September 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxies cause allergic reactions and which do not? - September 19, 2018
- FOC Tips: solutions for clean connections - September 17, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can I identify crystallization in epoxies? - September 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step one of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - September 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what happens if you undermix epoxy? - September 11, 2018