Which connector has the longest history?
The first connector to be accepted as a widely used standard in the early days of the fiber optic industry, in the late 1970s, was designed by Amphenol in CT as a variation of their coaxial electrical connect known as subminiature assembly, or SMA. In those days, fiber was multimode and the clad diameters were 125 um and up, to 230 and 1000 um. For the smallest sizes, Amphenol developed a unique and patented design that used four tightly machined metal rods in a larger hole in the connector ferrule. The rods were uniformly round enough to place the fiber in the center of the connector and allow for acceptable insertion losses of 1.25 - 2 dB per km at 850 nm.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 13, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which connector has the longest history? - July 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: Characterize the oven ports to validate your curing schedule - July 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have any documentation available on controlling end-face geometry characteristics of PC ferrules? - July 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: in copper manufacture, the copper conductors are the strength members in many of the cable designs - July 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: way to avoid bubbles when mixing materials if you do not have the pieces of equipment like a speed mixer or centrifuge? - July 6, 2018
- FOC Tips: cleaning fiber with high purity of Isopropyl Alcohol - July 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are polymer plastics isotropic? - July 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: internal connector design and the correct amount of epoxy - July 2, 2018
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 10-4 campaign to support #5MillionSteps - July 2, 2018
- FOC’s step-by-step making a difference many places - July 1, 2018