Why is it important to clean both ends of the connector pair?
If an operator forgets to and only cleans one end of a mated connector pair, the clean connector will become cross contaminated.
Residue based contamination will transfer from the contaminated end face to the clean end face.
You can tell when this happens because you will usually see a coffee ring stain on both connector end faces.
Dust based contamination will also transfer from the contaminated end face to the clean end face.
When this happens, the dust particles will start to break apart and spread across both ferrule end faces. Another common problem that happens with dust contamination creates pits and scratches on both ferrule end faces.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team WITH the Sticklers MicroCare Corporation Team August 8, 2017
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What documentation have you published on how operators can better meet design goals? - January 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Chemical level changes in gas delivery system bubbling process - January 19, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Specialty optical preforms strength and deposition issues - January 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are experiencing chemical level drops in our chemical bubbler. Is this a temperature issue or should we be focusing on other variables? - January 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are having issues with shrinkage and are focusing on the polish step. Looking for some steps, best practices, solutions, etc. - January 4, 2018
- FOC Marketing Tip 12: Social Media Navigation - December 22, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 11: Business Development: An Honest Conversation - December 21, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 10: Product Inventory Management and a quick snapshot…. - December 20, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 9: Trade Show Strategy Revisited - December 19, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 8: The Roles of a Marketing Team - December 18, 2017