A launch box is a passive optical component, complementary to OTDRs (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) for the testing of a fiber optics link. It is made of a coiled optical fiber and it helps eliminate the infamous OTDR “dead zone area”. Simply put, it is vital to the success of a fiber OTDR measurement.
These boxes are the cables placed between the OTDR and the near-end patch panel serving two key purposes:
1) to detect reflections and
2) to identify loss measurement.
The ‘blinding’ of OTDRs for short periods of time come from reflections caused by connector interfaces. A “dead-zone” is the period of time it takes for an OTDR to recover from the ‘blindness’. During a dead-zone period, OTDRs are unable to identify between bends, other connectors, breaks, or shatters. A long cable is necessary to detect the reflection within the dead-zone.
There must be sufficient measurable backscatter, before and after the inter-connection, to measure the optical loss on an OTDR trace.
An OTDR can be prevented from measuring the relative loss through both near-end and far-end patch panel connections with the lack of a dead-zone box. In its absence, there is no measurable backscatter outside the fiber link under test.
On our website, we have seven options under theAFL Fiber Ring products found here: http://bit.ly/2ba8jVy .
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why aren’t packages of less than 2.5 or 2 grams available? - June 27, 2019
- FOC Tips: Assess the quality and condition of test cables - June 25, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can I select the right epoxy for a new application? - June 24, 2019
- Twenty-three Miles and Three Mountains Later: Journey in Bethlehem - June 21, 2019
- FOC Tips: guides and resources for epoxy and adhesive options - June 20, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why isn’t there one standard polishing process? - June 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019