A launch box is a passive optical component, complementary to OTDRs (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) for the testing of a fiber optics link. It is made of a coiled optical fiber and it helps eliminate the infamous OTDR “dead zone area”. Simply put, it is vital to the success of a fiber OTDR measurement.
These boxes are the cables placed between the OTDR and the near-end patch panel serving two key purposes:
1) to detect reflections and
2) to identify loss measurement.
The ‘blinding’ of OTDRs for short periods of time come from reflections caused by connector interfaces. A “dead-zone” is the period of time it takes for an OTDR to recover from the ‘blindness’. During a dead-zone period, OTDRs are unable to identify between bends, other connectors, breaks, or shatters. A long cable is necessary to detect the reflection within the dead-zone.
There must be sufficient measurable backscatter, before and after the inter-connection, to measure the optical loss on an OTDR trace.
An OTDR can be prevented from measuring the relative loss through both near-end and far-end patch panel connections with the lack of a dead-zone box. In its absence, there is no measurable backscatter outside the fiber link under test.
On our website, we have seven options under theAFL Fiber Ring products found here: http://bit.ly/2ba8jVy .
- The Twelve Days of FOC Marketing; Day 3: Marketing Objectives vs. Actions: Identifying Where the Discrepancies Occur - December 13, 2017
- The Twelve Days of FOC Marketing; Day 2: Building Relationships through Solution and Consultative Selling - December 12, 2017
- The Twelve Days of FOC Marketing: Branding Matters - December 11, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How do I measure the concentricity of, or tune, an APC connector? - November 27, 2017
- From the Industry: End Supply Chain Friction By Changing This One Thing About Your Quality Control Process… - November 16, 2017
- From the Industry: Study by Lockheed, Cinch, and FiberQA to be Presented during AVFOP 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you use expired epoxy? - November 1, 2017
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Determining minor or normal slight binder indentation on buffer tubes - October 16, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. introduces Viavi FiberChek Sidewinder, first fully autonomous handheld inspection and analysis solution for multifiber connectors - October 10, 2017
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the promotion of William Sorell to Shipping Supervisor - October 5, 2017