A launch box is a passive optical component, complementary to OTDRs (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) for the testing of a fiber optics link. It is made of a coiled optical fiber and it helps eliminate the infamous OTDR “dead zone area”. Simply put, it is vital to the success of a fiber OTDR measurement.
These boxes are the cables placed between the OTDR and the near-end patch panel serving two key purposes:
1) to detect reflections and
2) to identify loss measurement.
The ‘blinding’ of OTDRs for short periods of time come from reflections caused by connector interfaces. A “dead-zone” is the period of time it takes for an OTDR to recover from the ‘blindness’. During a dead-zone period, OTDRs are unable to identify between bends, other connectors, breaks, or shatters. A long cable is necessary to detect the reflection within the dead-zone.
There must be sufficient measurable backscatter, before and after the inter-connection, to measure the optical loss on an OTDR trace.
An OTDR can be prevented from measuring the relative loss through both near-end and far-end patch panel connections with the lack of a dead-zone box. In its absence, there is no measurable backscatter outside the fiber link under test.
On our website, we have seven options under theAFL Fiber Ring products found here: http://bit.ly/2ba8jVy .
- FOC Tips: important preventive measures to help reduce chance of fiber damage during stripping - April 23, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can the errors made in the Termination processes be detected by subsequent production-line tests / measurements? - April 20, 2018
- FOC Tips: abrasive lapping films - April 19, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping - April 17, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how and when should you purchase epoxy material in premixed and frozen syringes? - April 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how tight is the buffer on the cable that I am providing? - April 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: optical fiber and faster transmission rates - April 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: When does Bi-Directional make sense? - April 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: ferrule size - April 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why Do Scratches Appear After Using the Final Film? - April 5, 2018