A launch box is a passive optical component, complementary to OTDRs (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) for the testing of a fiber optics link. It is made of a coiled optical fiber and it helps eliminate the infamous OTDR “dead zone area”. Simply put, it is vital to the success of a fiber OTDR measurement.
These boxes are the cables placed between the OTDR and the near-end patch panel serving two key purposes:
1) to detect reflections and
2) to identify loss measurement.
The ‘blinding’ of OTDRs for short periods of time come from reflections caused by connector interfaces. A “dead-zone” is the period of time it takes for an OTDR to recover from the ‘blindness’. During a dead-zone period, OTDRs are unable to identify between bends, other connectors, breaks, or shatters. A long cable is necessary to detect the reflection within the dead-zone.
There must be sufficient measurable backscatter, before and after the inter-connection, to measure the optical loss on an OTDR trace.
An OTDR can be prevented from measuring the relative loss through both near-end and far-end patch panel connections with the lack of a dead-zone box. In its absence, there is no measurable backscatter outside the fiber link under test.
On our website, we have seven options under theAFL Fiber Ring products found here: http://bit.ly/2ba8jVy .
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where does the contamination come from in the normal polishing process? - August 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: spring loaded connectors after primary polishing - August 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how are the environments in which copper and optical cable are produced different? - August 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: inner-housing - August 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: the most common fiber optic epoxy packaging is premeasured two part packs. - August 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects start with a good print job - August 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors? - August 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what lapping films are available with PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) back? - August 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate RL measurements, use OTDR. - August 3, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: When does less cladding get faster transmission rates or does it? - August 2, 2018