A launch box is a passive optical component, complementary to OTDRs (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) for the testing of a fiber optics link. It is made of a coiled optical fiber and it helps eliminate the infamous OTDR “dead zone area”. Simply put, it is vital to the success of a fiber OTDR measurement.
These boxes are the cables placed between the OTDR and the near-end patch panel serving two key purposes:
1) to detect reflections and
2) to identify loss measurement.
The ‘blinding’ of OTDRs for short periods of time come from reflections caused by connector interfaces. A “dead-zone” is the period of time it takes for an OTDR to recover from the ‘blindness’. During a dead-zone period, OTDRs are unable to identify between bends, other connectors, breaks, or shatters. A long cable is necessary to detect the reflection within the dead-zone.
There must be sufficient measurable backscatter, before and after the inter-connection, to measure the optical loss on an OTDR trace.
An OTDR can be prevented from measuring the relative loss through both near-end and far-end patch panel connections with the lack of a dead-zone box. In its absence, there is no measurable backscatter outside the fiber link under test.
On our website, we have seven options under theAFL Fiber Ring products found here: http://bit.ly/2ba8jVy .
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What documentation have you published on how operators can better meet design goals? - January 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Chemical level changes in gas delivery system bubbling process - January 19, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Specialty optical preforms strength and deposition issues - January 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are experiencing chemical level drops in our chemical bubbler. Is this a temperature issue or should we be focusing on other variables? - January 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are having issues with shrinkage and are focusing on the polish step. Looking for some steps, best practices, solutions, etc. - January 4, 2018
- FOC Marketing Tip 12: Social Media Navigation - December 22, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 11: Business Development: An Honest Conversation - December 21, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 10: Product Inventory Management and a quick snapshot…. - December 20, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 9: Trade Show Strategy Revisited - December 19, 2017
- FOC Marketing Tip 8: The Roles of a Marketing Team - December 18, 2017