A launch box is a passive optical component, complementary to OTDRs (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) for the testing of a fiber optics link. It is made of a coiled optical fiber and it helps eliminate the infamous OTDR “dead zone area”. Simply put, it is vital to the success of a fiber OTDR measurement.
These boxes are the cables placed between the OTDR and the near-end patch panel serving two key purposes:
1) to detect reflections and
2) to identify loss measurement.
The ‘blinding’ of OTDRs for short periods of time come from reflections caused by connector interfaces. A “dead-zone” is the period of time it takes for an OTDR to recover from the ‘blindness’. During a dead-zone period, OTDRs are unable to identify between bends, other connectors, breaks, or shatters. A long cable is necessary to detect the reflection within the dead-zone.
There must be sufficient measurable backscatter, before and after the inter-connection, to measure the optical loss on an OTDR trace.
An OTDR can be prevented from measuring the relative loss through both near-end and far-end patch panel connections with the lack of a dead-zone box. In its absence, there is no measurable backscatter outside the fiber link under test.
On our website, we have seven options under theAFL Fiber Ring products found here: http://bit.ly/2ba8jVy .
- FOC Tips: “transition point” where buffered fiber is stripped away to reveal the bare fiber - June 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where can I get a little bit of Teflon? - June 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: dual asymmetric centrifuge - June 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: contamination of fixture affecting precision - June 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: cross sectioning and detailed failure analysis - June 8, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a way to avoid wasted epoxy? - June 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: 2-stage heat cure - June 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the key differences between copper and glass optical fiber we need to be aware of? - June 4, 2018
- FOC Tips: epoxies and minimizing handling - June 1, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: for cleaning of polishing fixtures, is an ultrasonic bath or other solutions recommended? - May 31, 2018