Some insight when it comes to changing a connector supplier….. let’s discuss a singlemode SC connector for first example:
Starting from the point that the SC is an industrial standard connector, everyone knows that it is standardized on the connection point, meaning that all other area’s like the inner-housing, ferrule size and ferrule shape, housing color, backside and strain relief boot are custom to the manufacturer.
From Our FOC TIPS series, a tip on the backside:
Backside: traditionally SC connectors were accommodated with 3-3.5mm OD cable to withstand the IEC/Telcordia cable pull tests.
With the introduction of the smaller LC connector, that accommodate typically smaller OD’s like 2.0 or 1.6mm, the SC connector needed at many manufacturer a re-design to accept 1.6/2.0mm cables.
A critical eye on the backside design is needed to match it with the right cable manufacturer, taking the jacket thickness and the amount of Kevlar in consideration.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what happens if you overmix epoxy? - January 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: defining type and semi tight buffers as opposed to loose tubes in optical cables - January 3, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can one verify that epoxy processes are appropriate for the product? - December 27, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how many different ways are there to terminate an optical fiber which is tight buffered and where can I find more information on each? - December 20, 2018