The ideal (minimum-loss) fiber path would have NO connections. Instead, it would be one continuous, straight-through glass fiber from Point A to Point B – with no interruptions. Since fiber networks usually require connectors for modularity, path splits, etc., we need a connection with perfectly aligned, intimate “glass to glass” contact that emulates the continuous fiber and gives us the desired Low IL and High RL.
When this perfectly aligned, intimate “glass to glass” contact is not achieved, reduced IL/RL performance is the result. Briefly, here are some common causes.
- End-face quality and cleanliness
- Misalignment between the 2 cores
- Poor core-to-core contact
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What Causes Poor IL/RL?
Do you have a specific issue regarding meeting your desired IL/RL specs?
We’re here to help! Send us your question, and we’ll do our best to provide guidance. FOC is committed to helping you manufacture the best fiber optic cable assemblies possible.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- FOC Tips: Use the proper strip template when stripping for connectorization - July 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxy is the best for my application? - July 15, 2019
- Maple Syrup, Hidden Trails and Eerie Sights on the Third-Tallest Mountain in Vermont - July 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: the four major components of the fiber optic patch cord - July 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually? - July 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1550 higher than 1310 - July 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Should we check for crystallization? Do we need to adjust our inspection process? - July 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: diameter of the ferrule’s hole bore is larger than the outside diameter of the fiber - July 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we establish good cleaning techniques throughout the polishing process? - July 3, 2019
- FOC Tips: Connectors are aligned and contacted optimally - July 2, 2019