Determining over polishing of the connector is difficult to gauge. For the most part, manufacturers of connectors specify critical lengths of the end of the ceramic ferrule to the base of the metal flange. This critical length then translates to the correct exposure in relation to the connectors’ housing and assure proper mating engagement while in the adapter. Since there are no available length gauges to measure this correctly and the length of the ferrule in the metal flange is not typically available, the alternatives of monitoring a connectors polish life is to “count” an internal maximum times to be re-polished.
That maximum number varies with different suppliers and can only truly be determined by long term reliability testing involving vibration, environmental and other mechanical tests.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the differences between Silicon Carbide, Diamond, and Final in Lapping Films? - July 23, 2018
- FOC Tips: instructions for burst pouch bi-packs - July 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how does an ultrasonic bath work for cleaning polishing fixtures? - July 19, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the typical steps for terminating a fiber? - July 18, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what is the ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connector? - July 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which connector has the longest history? - July 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: Characterize the oven ports to validate your curing schedule - July 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have any documentation available on controlling end-face geometry characteristics of PC ferrules? - July 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: in copper manufacture, the copper conductors are the strength members in many of the cable designs - July 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: way to avoid bubbles when mixing materials if you do not have the pieces of equipment like a speed mixer or centrifuge? - July 6, 2018